1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview task - help!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by hedwig76, May 20, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I have an interview next week for a LDD TA post and have been asked to bring along an item from home to share with a special needs child for a 5 to 10 min discussion.
    I phoned the school for more info but all they can tell me is that the child is in year 5 and working at P levels (Reception, Year 1?). I've been racking my brains and was thinking of a sensory story but unsure of one that would be age appropriate? Any ideas gratefully received [​IMG]

2. Any ideas at all would be gratefully recieved [​IMG] Am struggling here, anyone have any experience of this kind of interview task?
    I have worked as a TA and also a one to one TA before but am really stuck on coming up with an activity without having met the child, found out their interests etc. Have thought about taking in a factual book and talking about it with the child. Not really much wow factor there tho. Wondering if I am overthinking this!

3. If it isn't a church school, who might have objections to magical things, how about a cauldron (if you've got one still kicking about since last Hallowe'en) or a a magic wand which you could make yourself at a pinch.
    This could be an introduction to a discussion about stories/films the child has heard/seen or what they would wish for if it was real.
    You could get literacy and maths activities out of making spells - what woud you put in (maybe it has to rhymes or have a certain number of legs in total), making it's a magic 'doubling' tool or an 'adding ' tool for maths or a changing the first letter tool for phonic activities.
    I think you'd probably be asked about how you would use it rather than actually use it with the child -if they are interviewing several people for the post it would be unfair to put the child through all those interviews!

4. If you want a book, take a 'Where's Wally?' book. Children love them, it's age appropriate, and there's a lot you can get out of them.

5. thanks for your suggestions [​IMG]
    liking the idea of the magic wand will have a think about that one..
    Had thought about taking a Where's Wally book but would it be too difficult for some children?
    Have had a thought this morning about a mystery bag with different objects and the child has to reach in and choose an object, describe what it feels like, what they think it is etc. Then take it out and talk about each object.
    I think the aim is to see how I would interact with the child, what do you think?

6. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

Your idea sound very good. I think you have to take into consideration the age of the child but also match to the child's cognitive ability. From your description there is a huge gap so it is easy to focus on just one criteria such as devising something for a year five child or agian for a reception child.

With your activity you can be guided by the child/children themselves as they will find their own speaking and listening. You could have atheme to the objects in your bag such as things they would find in school/ things all one colour/ then let child/children discover the common aspect between all the objects in the bag. I would think if you are working within P level stage then the critera should be quite obvious.[​IMG]

7. thanks I love the idea of a theme connecting all the objects [​IMG]
    Will have a good think!