1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview take part in 'a range of activities'

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by MasterMaths, Apr 25, 2012.

1. No (half decent) interviewer wants to trip you up, or catch you out. If they haven't given you any details, then you probably don't need them. Yes, you may have to teach a (little bit of a) lesson. Or you may have to just plan it. Or talk about how you would plan it. Or mark some work. Or have a group discussion about so-and-so. They want to see what the real you can do - so get a good night's sleep and do your best!

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

sage advice, i would say.
    It can never be as bad as you are worrying that it will be.
    sounds more like the type of interview that you experience in industry. Usually good fun actually! Try not to be too pushy, but get your view across. Demonstrate that you are a team player. If you found anything about the school and catchment, refer to that at some point.
    Have a good day and enjoy the free lunch!

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Another one I saw mentioned on here was "work with a group of pupils on a task" - I think the idea was that the regular teacher would introduce the task, and then each candidate would work with a small group. That seems an excellent way to observe how a teacher works with students, and perhaps easier to compare than watching them deliver lessons which they may or may not have planned alone, may or may not have practised with their own classes, etc.