1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Sixth Form Art

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by CreativeADT, Feb 15, 2020.

1. CreativeADT

CreativeADT New commenter

Hi all

I have an interview for a part time A level Art teaching job. The school is academically selective in a deprived area and sponsored by an independent school.

Any advice on how to pitch the lesson and say what they might want to hear at interview? Also what to ask them?

I am currently Faculty Leader for ADT in a secondary school with strong gcse art results and good A level and BTEC extended diploma track record. I don't feel super confident being observed with sixth form as we tend to teach in a tutorial style rather then whole class. I can see that the intimacy of smaller classes is a nice way to gather them around and facilitate group discussion.

Anyway, advice and suggestions would be very welcome!!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting the interview - they have clearly been impressed by you!

Well, don´t say what you think they want to hear, say the truth (although geared to their needs, of course).

Pitching the lesson? For any A-level interview lesson you need to be flexible. Have a lesson plan that will allow you to adapt to the level that the students are at and also provide individual less or more challenging tasks if you identify these needs. Show these clearly on the plan and make sure that you take extra copies to push into the hands of the observers. By the way, their A-level results in Art should show you what level their students generally are at.

Also, be prepared to answer "How did the lesson go, what would you change next time?" to show that you are reflective about your teaching. You might find this useful http://bit.do/Click_2

I shudder at this! Do NOT just think up a question because you think you need to have something to ask. Ask if there is something that you need to know to help you decide whether to take the job if offered (but nothing along the lines of Will I get my own desk in the staffroom?) Other wise if they ask if you have any questions you can just say Nothing at all, thank you. Your documentation and talking to staff today have given me everything I need.

Do you have a portfolio to take along? Examples of your personal art work, and above all examples of student work. It could be an actual physical one, or on a tablet. And talk about creativity . . .

Best of luck!

3. CreativeADT

CreativeADT New commenter

Thank you again! This is really helpful