1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview situation!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by xteachersarahx, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Hey guys,
    So I'm in a bit of a tricky situation! I just wanted to get some opinions off here really!
    I've just completed my PGCE and been for three interviews altogether (haven't had one for weeks!) and applied to about 30-35 schools (I know that isn't as much as some people!) but its still hard going, especially as its now coming to the end of the term (well it is in some schools!) and I'm so worried I won't have a job for September!
    So, on Wednesday I heard back from a school saying they would like me to come for an interview next Monday, which I agreed with. However, I thought I best still completed a couple more applications for perhaps backups incase I didn't get it seen as I've alreayd had a few interviews. Anyway I went to hand in an application yesterday at another school and when I was there the head teacher was showing some candidates around and asked whether I'd like to join them, which I did. I handed in my application and the closing date was today.
    At 4oclock today I had a call off him saying he'd like to call me for interview...on MONDAY! :(
    I love both schools, so I was just honest and said I'm really sorry, I do really like your school but I already have an interview scheduled for Monday. I was expecting him to say 'Oh ok, thanks for letting us know!' for he's changed everyones times around and he's now asking me to come in the afternoon (my othe interview is in the morning) and they are about half an hours drive from each other. He just said he understands how stressful trying to find a job is and he wants me to have the best opportunity to get one as possible.

So now I'm utterly confused! What do I say when the first school asks me 'if we were to offer you a job later on in the day would you take it?'
    Could I just say yes to the first one which offers me a job and then ring the other school up asap (before theyve offered me a job) and say I'm awfully sorry I've just been offered another job? I just don't know! But I feel I can't give an interview opportunity up now...I might not even get either of them!

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Should I let the first school know I have another interview? So when they say 'would you accept job' etc, say something like 'I really like your school and would love to work here, but I have another interview in the afternoon, so I think I am just going to have to see how they both go'. Or what would you say?!?
    Do you think the headteacher would then be abit funny? Obviously the second headteacher knows of the situation so the second school is fine with it! I'm just so confused!

3. you lucky thing...

anyway. Go to both. Both will ring in the evening and there are 4 ways it can go. 1) both offer you a job : take the first one and apologise to the other which feel really crud cos they didnt ring sooner! WIN WIN 2) one offers you a job the other doesnt, WIN! 3) Other offers you a job WIN! 4) Neither offer you the job bad luck but at least youve had experience. The odds are in your favour.

Best of luck x

4. ps I wouldnt mention it to the second school, they might not take it as well as the other school, go with the flow and hope you get a job at the end of it. When they ask you just say at the end of the interview "are you still a firm candidate" YES!!!
    :) x

5. Hey! Thanks for your reply! I most probably will goto both!
    The thing is the interview which is in the morning they don't know I have an interview in the afternoon but the interview in the afternoon does know I have an interview in the morning! (as I rang the head teacher to say I already had an interview that day and he said what time? And so made arrangements for me to come in the afternoon instead).
    So the second interview already knows! I just don't want to say to the other interview 'yes I would accept the job' and then for the other school to offer me a job and for me to have to ring the first school saying so (just worrying about the 'verbal agreement', although if I rang them before they even offered the job to me, would that be OK? :S)

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

When they ask if you would accept the job say something like 'Yes please, I would love to work here. But I ought to let you know that I have another interview this afternoon and, much as I prefer your school, if they were to offer me a post first I would have to say yes.'
    Then they feel like they are the favoured school, but you are clear about the situation.

Also, if the second school then offer you a post first, you can accept with a clear conscience and can ring the first to let them know to discount you from deliberations.

If the first school offer you a post before the second interview then accept it at once and ring the second school to withdraw.

There is no verbal agreement until you are offered a post.

7. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

excellent advice from Minnie!

And good luck!!! Keep us posted! xx

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, haven't you done well!
    Not only got 2 interviews, but one school is so keen not to let you go that they have changed their schedule for you! Well done - you have produced impressive applications, and schools see that you have a lot to offer.
    And also they know that there is pressure on them to get in fast with an offer if they want you, and that you are in demand. People have a predisposition to wanting what other people want, so this raises your status and desirability in their eyes. Daft isn't it - but it will play in your favour!
    They may decide to come to their appointment decision sooner so that they can offer you the job before the other school does.
    Have a re-read of the interview clickables in the Welcome thread to just finish off your preparation.
    Best of luck - I look forward to that new thread called Dear Theo - I got the job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

9. laconn

laconn New commenter

I had two interviews similar situation. When asked I said I was a firm candidate but did have an interview that afternoon and may not be around to take the phone call (they said they would call that afternoon). literally an hour later I had a phone call with a job offer putting the school under pressure to decide if they want me or may lose out to another school obviously worked in my case. Good luck!