1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview: sharing a story

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by mechaboo, Nov 24, 2018.

1. mechaboo

mechaboo New commenter

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me? I have applied for a TA job and now I have been invited for interview in a couple of days. I have been asked to bring a story to share with 10 year 1 children for up to 20 minutes. I chose a book called ‘Something Else’, and thinking to link it to diversity and inclusion.Anyone used the story for interview or a lesson before? Could you tell me your experience / advise, please? Or anyone who had a TA job interview with a task, sharing a story to KS1 children', I would like to hear your experience, eg. how many questions to children? If you had unexpected answers what would you do?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I don't know the story at all so can't help you there - but a link to diversity and inclusion sounds like a great idea. Make sure you introduce yourself first and tell them what you're going to do (10 names will be too many for you to remember, so I wouldn't worry about that)! Tell them you're going to talk about the story too - ask them what's important when a group is talking together - lead towards hands up, listening respectfully to each other, etc. Have some questions ready at different points in the story - possibly more than you think you'll need, 20 minutes is quite a long time. As for unexpected answers - if they're totally unrelated to the story, you might have to go with, "That's really interesting, I'm sure you were happy/excited/sad about it when it happened. But what do you think ………(return to question)."
    Best of luck with the interview!

3. mechaboo

mechaboo New commenter

Thank you, sunshineneeded!
    Yes, thought asking their name first was a good idea but was wondering how I can remember 10 children’s names and remember them all in limited time! I will introduce myself, but won’t bother to ask their names. Reminding them about some group work rules is a good idea too! I completely forgot about it! Definitely I will do it. They are year 1 children so it is worth it!! I’ve got about 6 questions to ask, but might need more. If anyone knows this story? And any advice I should think for questions?