1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview - sentence structure!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LauraJane100, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Hi everyone
    Hope you are all enjoying the Easter holidays!
    I have my first interview! Exciting but also very scary.
    I have been asked to plan a 20 minute lesson for a year 5 class (mixed ability which ranges from a level 2b to a 4a in writing, also 8 girls and 17 boys). I have to focus on the teaching of different sentence structure in order to create more variation in narrative writing.
    So my idea is
    <u>Introduction </u>- Whole class spider diagram on what sentences need. Show a simple sentence on the board and ask the children to point out the different things which sentences need.
    <u>Main</u> - (Children working in mixed ability groups) Give the children pictures on the tables to get imagination working to write a simple sentence. Get the children to feed back their sentences - how can we make these more interesting (adverbs/ adjectives). Then turning the simple sentence into compound sentence (modelled on board).
    <u>Plenary</u> - Share a sentence on board, how can this be improved? Then children being involved in self-assessment.

Any advice, comments, ideas or anything are welcome! I would love to hear what people think.
    Thank you :)
    Laura

2. Hi Laura,
    I teach year 5 levels 2a-5c. Just wanted to share some ideas...
    Most of my class are very clear about simple and compound sentences and the majority are able to write complex sentences but aren't always able to recognise that it is a complex sentence, which is quite hard teach. I think as you have one lesson, it may be an idea to focus on how sentences build up tension in narrative? You could show an example of text and get children to pick out the techniques of where the author build up tension (short snappy sentences etc) and then with talk partners they could have a go at continuing the text, share ideas, take ideas, ask each other to improve further etc..
    Then you could use really good images like you said in your post, where children generate words to describe the setting or action that will give the atmosphere of the setting, and then have a go with writing their own settings.
    You can differentiate it by giving different prompts for each ability group, so lower ability might focus on using short snappy sentences and compound (give vocab cards for useful connectives), middle ability might have sentence starter cards, like adverb starters, -ing word starters, and then use Despite, Even though, Although etc and highlight these will give them complex sentences if they are written correctly.
    I like the idea of a starter maybe this could be where they generate the vocab that will be used in the rest of the lesson? Or do some basic sentence work, improving verbs, changing sentece starter etc.
    Plenary could be self/peer assessment ensuring that children focus on success criteria for feedback and then like you said improving sentences or choosing the most effective?
    These are just my ideas with my class in mind so go with what you are confident with. Also I'm sure you will, but find out about TA support etc.
    Somewhere I have a piece of text that I wrote for a similar lesson on sentences for effect building up tension, so I can always email it you if you need it.
    Hope that helps and good luck![​IMG]

3. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

Sounds great Laura, it is a good interview lesson because it is focussed on progress and involves self assessment too. One thing you might also consider is how to push the HA children - you will have some children in the class who can already do what you are teaching so how will you extend them further? This way you will show your interviewers that you can differentiate - I think the fact that they have given you information about the range of levels in the class suggests they might be looking to see clear differentiation.

4. Sorry just re-read your post and noticed you only have 20 minutes; I think my ideas in the previous post would take a whole lesson.
    Sorry!

5. Thank you both for the feedback!
    I can't believe I didn't even think about how I could extend the HA. I hope I don't miss anything important out.
    I really like the idea about looking at a piece of text and tension, but I do think it would take up a lot of time like you said.
    It's so hard to get everything into 20 minutes
    x

6. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

I was wondering if you could use ISPACED as a way of getting them to consider variation of sentence starters?

There is a sentence starter/VCOP dice game in the TES resources which is useful but could be adapted and used in plenary to link more clearly to ISPACED. You could have blank dice and add the letters from ISPACED on there - two letters on one of the sides though.

That might not make much sense at mo but I'll find a link to the resource and it might help :)

7. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/VCOP-Games-3005427/

8. I have just had a look at that dice game and I really like that idea. I'm going to see if I can use that some how.
    Thank you very much!
    x

9. Hi
    How did your lesson go? What pictures did you use?