1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview-- risky or play it safe?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nikilala, May 8, 2012.

1. nikilala

nikilala New commenter

Hi
    I have a lesson observation and interview on Thursday for a y5 post although the observation is in yr3.
    I have decided on a lesson but it is nothing spectacular... Do I stick with what I know is a safe lesson and aim to execute it flawlessly or do I choose something a bit more risky?
    Thanks

2. nikilala

nikilala New commenter

Hi
    I have a lesson observation and interview on Thursday for a y5 post although the observation is in yr3.
    I have decided on a lesson but it is nothing spectacular... Do I stick with what I know is a safe lesson and aim to execute it flawlessly or do I choose something a bit more risky?
    Thanks

3. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Personally, I'd go with the safe option, as long as it's not boring, will engage the kids and has some form of progression shown in it.

4. IanG

IanG New commenter

I would play it safe. Make sure your lesson plan is spot on, clearly demonstrates progression and make sure you have a copy for observing member of staff. You will probably be asked about it come interview...

Good luck :).

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Definitely children making progress is the most important criteria, rather than a 'whizzy, all-singing, all-dancing' lesson.
    Good luck with it!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview!
    Learning and progress are the key things to aim for.
    And this means ensuring differentiation - have it clearly marked on your lesson plan (ensure that you give it to the observer) in case you don't actually need it all in the lesson, dependeing on the children.
    Do go to the Welcome thread and read the general advice in the Interview clickables.
    And then read this: * * * * * Teaching a lesson at interview * * * * *
    Do read this thread too :
    Safeguarding and Child Protection - the questions, NOT the answers. (Bump it when you've finished reading it)
    Well done on getting your interview - we look forward to you starting a brand new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Tip for next time: put Dear Theo in the title so I open it earlier!
    Best wishes.