1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview retraction/cancellation

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rbee1, Mar 26, 2018.

1. rbee1

rbee1 New commenter

Today at 1pm I was suppose to have an interview for a permanent position at a school. At about 9:10 I was rung by the school to say that the member of staff who had handed in their resignation had retracted it so no interviews were going to take place.
    I understand there is nothing I can do about this however, wondered what people though about this.
    I am upset that I will not get an interview but wondered if this was common practice or if something ‘dodgy’ was happening.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree it's disappointing for you.

However the circumstances behind the cancellation may be quite genuine.
    An expected house move due to a partner's re-location which fell through,
    someone who jumped the gun to hand in their notice early before the resignation date and then realised they couldn't, perhaps because they were going to care for a relative who has since died . . . . .
    there are loads of absolutely genuine reasons.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Its hard luck but at least they didn't just go ahead with interviews as they had already been arranged and waste everybody's time

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'd think it was universal practice. Why would a school hold interviews for a job vacancy that didn't exist?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Internal reorganisation resulting in no vacancy.

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I recall an interview a few years ago where the job disappeared the night before but the school had organised the catering and the governors so they went ahead with the charade!

7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I once was invited for interview for a maternity post. The night before the HT rang to cancel as the post was no longer available; I assumed that the postholder had no need for maternity leave - a few years later, a later mutual friend said they'd had a miscarriage, which was none of my business then.....

At least they let you know beforehand!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.