1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview rant

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by trout-mad, Jun 30, 2015.

1. trout-mad

trout-mad New commenter

This is more of a rant than anything else. I think I must be the most unemployable teacher in Scotland! I've had 4 interviews in the past year and been the only applicant for 2 of them and actually doing the job in one of those but still no job for after the holidays.

I've been assured that I can teach and am good at my job but I just can't perform in an interview. I've had the coaching and feedback and tried to act on it but it all comes to nothing.

I get the feeling the process isn't about getting to know the applicant but rather jumping through the most hoops that the question sets out. The more hoops the better the score. It doesn't seem to matter if what you say is true just what they want to hear.

Scunnered and jobless!

2. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi, I'm assuming you are quite young (under 40 or even 30?) and sadly you have to bend the truth in order to be successful. I was useless at interviews as I was too honest and now at an age where I hope to continue in my current post until I retire, so no more interviews for me.

Think wider than the questions e.g."Why do you think you are right for this school?" Read up on their STACS, go for their good points/achievements and add what "you can contribute to" in order to maintain this success.Throw in some educational-jargon (you know, SALS, successful individuals etc...etc...), compliments are good, but don't praise falsely - the panel are not as intelligent as you think they are and more often than not have a hidden agenda.

Sorry this seems trite and and all that, but you must not think you are unemployable - you are just a victim at a time when there are lots of things wrong with education in Scotland.

Hope your luck will change soon!

3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Sorry to hear that. I was sh!te at teacher interviews too. You only need to get lucky once.

4. xmal

xmal Established commenter

Sorry to hear that. I've had interviews where I've absolutely nailed it and others where I've tripped up on the first question and every question after that. All I can say is don't lose heart and try to stay positive. Good luck.

5. That's really disappointing. I know you must feel awful right now, but 4 interviews isn't that many, and with continued work on interview skills, making yourself really familiar with all the policies etc., you will get there.

6. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

Don't want to sound harsh but if you were doing one of the jobs, were the only applicant and didn't get it then I don't think that it's simply a case of bad luck. What is the feedback you are given? Is it your knowledge/experience/personality?

I do agree that school-based interviews don't seem to be geared towards actually getting to know the candidates and are more about tick boxes and quite robotic in nature.

7. Are you asking for feedback and acting on it? Do you have a PT or SMT person to talk to for advice?

Interview panels that I've been on have NOT been about getting to know the applicant - you're looking for the applicant to tell you that they know how to do the job and to back it up with evidence.

Not getting four jobs isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things, but I can understand how disheartening it would be if it was four in a row! Especially the one for the post that you were already in... that says something. Get back in touch with the school and ask the members of the panel to be totally honest with their feedback. There's obviously something you're not saying/doing that is stopping you getting these jobs (or something you are doing that you shouldn't!)