1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview questions

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Dpbrownwatson, Jul 2, 2005.

1. I have an interview, next week for a TA position. What kind of questions can i expect to be asked ?
    Also in the application i was asked about numeracy and literacy strategies. And a general understanding of KS1 Curriculum, what else can i say about these.
    I have voluntary experience only, and it is my first interview for this position. Is there any one that can help?

2. I have an interview, next week for a TA position. What kind of questions can i expect to be asked ?
    Also in the application i was asked about numeracy and literacy strategies. And a general understanding of KS1 Curriculum, what else can i say about these.
    I have voluntary experience only, and it is my first interview for this position. Is there any one that can help?

3. Hiya, first of all good luck with the interview.
    A friend of mine went for an interview last week for a TA post and she said this:
    When she applied for the job there was no job title so she wasnt to sure of the nature of the job, she didnt know what year group or if it was one to one.
    The interview was infront of all the governors and the HT! Then she had to do a Literacy and numeracy paper, which she was not pre-warned about, which i though was a bit mean.
    I have another friend who is the chair of governors and i asked her what type of questions she would be expected to be asked?
    She said they may as these type of things:
    Conflict question, ie-teacher is called out of class for a few moments and a child is being disruptive. What would you do/how would you deal with it?
    Why do you want to be a TA?
    What schools have you worked in and why are you looking to moving schools?
    What do you see your role as in the future?
    Examples of things you may have implemented within the class room and how you went about implementing them, working along side the teacher.
    YOur typical day at the moment?
    Portfolio, do you have one?
    Courses you have been on or wish to go on.

I hope this is a bit of a help to you. I have been lucky enough never to have to have an interview so this is not first hand knowledge of the interview situation just sugestions made by my friend.

GOOD LUCK !!!

4. I was interviewed for a primary post last week and was delighted to be offered the job over five other applicants.Bear in mind that this was in Scotland, which has a slightly different set up for TA's, and for an Auxilliary's role buy some of the questions I was set are as follows -

Tell us a little about yourself and what qualities you feel you would bring to the post.

If you felt that a teacher was acting inappropriately what would you do?

If a parent approached you in a supermarket and asked about the progress of any pupil how would you respond?

Would you be prepared to assist at fundraising events?

How would you feel about working with a child who may be ill?

What do you feel is the most important thing when working with a child with an IEP?

How do you feel about inclusion?

Tell us about any courses that youi may have recently attended that you found interesting.

Would you be interested in undertaking any other relevant courses?

These might help to give you some ideas. A tip I was given by my old deputy head was when responding to the questions if possible use evidence of your experience in your answers - mention any resources you have prepared and any strategies you have formed to aid individual pupils. Talk about shcemes of work you are familiar with. The most important thing is to be natural and sell yourself ( not easy, I know!!)I hope this posting will be of some use for your preparation, GOOD LUCK!

5. This is to assister

I would like to know what was ur reply to this question , about being confronted with a parent at a supermarket asking about a child from school. u can contact me on msn Gladysau@hotmail.com

Thanks

6. Your knowledge of the numeracy/literacy strategies supports the teacher in differentiating the lesson and activities in line with the National Curriculum Inclusion Statement: A: Setting suitable learning challenges
    B. Responding to pupils' diverse learning needs
    C. Overcoming potential barriers to learning and assessment for individuals and groups of pupils.( www.nc.uk,net/nc-resources/html/inclusion.shtml . If you are familiar with the strategies (your class should have copies in a cupboard somewhere) and know what the specific lesson is about, you can backtrack or go forwards to a level appropriate to the child.
    This allows you to differentiate activities according to the child so that they achieve success, and provide feedback to the teacher as to what level the child is performing on.

7. In my recent interview I have been asked "When working with a CT What are the 3 important things you need to consider ?" Please advise me .

Thank you