1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview questions linked to c for e,help please?!

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by anniewhizz, Sep 15, 2011.

1. I am been teaching abroad for over three years and I have an interview coming up. Can anyone give me a brief overview of the c for E?

One question I found was how would I develop the 4 capacities of the curriculum for excellence in this job? Any suggestions?
    I think my brain cells have fried!

Many thanks

2. I am been teaching abroad for over three years and I have an interview coming up. Can anyone give me a brief overview of the c for E?

One question I found was how would I develop the 4 capacities of the curriculum for excellence in this job? Any suggestions?
    I think my brain cells have fried!

Many thanks

3. I am in a similar situation. Can someone please help with interview questions for secondary teaching?

4. The C for E is really about the child as the learner and you as the facilitator. So gone are the days of you standing at the front of the class and the chidlren listening to all you say before working independently. (ok, so it might not be exactly about that at the moment but you get my drift). interviewees are going to want to hear about children working cooperatively, helping provide success criteria and using the plenary session to prove their learning and state their next steps. That children can change how a topic goes by showing interest in a certain area. That you can use questioning effectively to deepen understanding. That early finishers are given the opportunity to broaden their learning rather than being pushed on to the next level.

The purpose behind it is - I believe - that we don't know what jobs these children are going to be doing so instead of teaching them how to work in offices and factories like in our day, we simply have to teach them the skills of 'how to learn'.

help you or confuse you?

5. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Which is almost, word for word, what we were told whilst training for primary teaching 40 years ago. There is very little new in education or a CfE.
    Over the last four decades, we certainly didn't stand in front of the class with the children listening to all we said before working independently. We used class, group and individual teaching as appropriate.
    Yes, experiential learning, and independent work, had their place but pupils also had to be taught 'factual' information if they were to develop the skills of 'how to learn'.
    If a CfE is really about the child as the learner and the teacher as the 'facilitator', that fundamentally undervalues the knowledge, skill and professionalism of the teacher which is, perhaps, the intention.
    However, it is true that if the OP wants to have a chance of success at interview in today's educational climate, they will have to say all the politically correct things and jump through the centrally controlled educational 'hoops'.
    I just hope the pupils develop sufficient knowledge, skills and work application to obtain the jobs that will be available in 10 or 20 years time.

6. I think we all know that CfE is not the best it can be and it will change again as these things do. However, I am currently working in an international 'academic' school where didactic teaching is the only thing encouraged. When you try that for a while then you begin to have a little bit more faith in the CfE - not for the kids but for your own sanity.

and yes Flyonthewall, you are correct, it is exactly the same as was said 40 years ago. Which means if we fast forward time we will get something similar to the 5-14 until they finally hit a middle ground with a bit of everything.

7. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

I think a middle ground with a bit of everything would make commonsense but, unfortunately, they just seem to go round in circles. [​IMG]