1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR T/A

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ecoext, Apr 23, 2008.

1. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

How did you answer these questions Olunchick?

2. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

Still no call - another waiting game:-(

3. olunchick

Re: questions - it takes so long to type up - which question in particular would you like me to answer?

4. pickles124

I think these ones mainly because they look potentially awkward and challenging to answer.

The old saying is no news is good news. Let's hope your on their mind.

The questions that I'm interested in are:
    What difficulties are you anticipating coming across while working in a TA role? (I know it's school specific)

If a child told you his brother repeatedly beats him at home what would you do?

Give us an example when you successfully worked with a group of children?

How would you make sure you establish good communication with child’s parent?

5. pickles124

First two in particular.

6. olunchick

What difficulties are you anticipating coming across while working in a TA role? (I know it's school specific)

I said challenging behaviour ( i seriously haven’t worked in one school where there were no behaviour issues) it’s one thing you can always learn about and improve on - how to respond in different situations. Child struggling with work. Then I briefly spoke how I would address them e.g follow schools behaviour policy, be positive, condemn behaviour not the child, rewards, proximity praise etc. For struggling with work - break the task down, use physical resources where possible etc

If a child told you his brother repeatedly beats him at home what would you do?

Safeguarding - say you can’t keep it secret, pass onto dms word for word what the child said without adding your own interpretation

Give us an example when you successfully worked with a group of children?

I talked about guided reading sessions, using dictionaries to look up words etc wasn’t anything amazing to be honest. I probably should’ve thaught of better example

How would you make sure you establish good communication with child’s parent?

This was for 1:1 role - introduce yourself, say you are always there if any concerns arise, home-school diary, be present and active at reviews

7. olunchick

Good luck to you tomorrow I hope all goes well. My top tip - don’t rush into answer - pause for thought if you have to and think of key points you want to convey.

8. pickles124

Thankyou so much for this...it just helps speaking to others to know what angle to take and what to brush up on for intetview. As i always feel i get caught out with one or two questions. I think you gave solid answers here. You come across as very knowledgeable so I'm positive that there is a job with your name on it. Soon hopefully!! Xx

olunchick likes this.
  9. olunchick

Is your interview on Friday? Sorry I thought it was tomorrow, good luck for Friday I should have said.

Ps. It does help talking to others even if only to help calm your nerves

pickles124 likes this.
  10. pickles124

Yes that is correct. Is this another case where the school is interviewing over two days? Suspense should be your middle name! (Not thay its nice to feel under suspense of course). Did they say when they will let you know

11. olunchick

You know what, this time they didn’t say and I forgot to ask! How could I! Now just sitting tight. If I don’t hear tomorrow will phone them on Thursday.

These are the only 2 (out of 7) times when I haven’t heard back the same day. I wonder if it is due to the volume of applications they shortlist more people and then they are having to spread interviews.

If that’s the case it lessens my chances as obviously I am up against more people. But what can you do - just sit and hope.

12. pickles124

Keep at it. Fortune favours the brave. X

olunchick likes this.
  13. olunchick

They forgot to phone me or accidentally missed me out. Interview brilliant, task let me down - they said it was too hard for those specific children which I will have to agree with. I think I needed something more simple. Oh well.

14. pickles124

Olunchick. Oh No!! What happened? How old were the children and what is your task? I'm terrified my task will go down the pan or they just sont understand what to do. I've tried to make it fun. We will go through the animals first as i hand the masks out so that they a know by the end what they are.

Please pray for me!! Ahhh!!

15. olunchick

Pickles if you go to page 20 in this thread there’s my post describing activity. To be honest I was unsure was was told to plan for a group of sen yr 4 children. Without knowing what their difficulties are or what level their working at you are almost blindly walking in and hoping they will engage.

16. pickles124

Yes ive just seen it. Did the school provide further details that you were asking for. I mean that task in itself looked like mission impossible to me so good on you for trying.

17. pickles124

Well Olunchick I feel the same. Although the school have provided the story, like you I feel like im not sure what response i will get from the children. It's very very difficult. But im going with my gut feeling that the children will like to be involved. Make it tactile and stimulating.

18. olunchick

I got a call for another interview. Really need to do well, I had an interview there two years ago ( and loved the school) it’s close to my house so very convenient. I need to try my very very hardedst. Task is 1:1 reading comprehension with a child with reading age of a 6yo. Time to get thinking....

19. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Good luck.

20. olunchick

Thank you snugglepot :)