1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR T/A

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ecoext, Apr 23, 2008.

1. dibble1979

dibble1979 New commenter

Great news, good luck and fingers crossed. Keep us posted :)

olunchick likes this.
  2. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Thats good to know and im really pleased for you. I've updated my supporting statement. Even included my knowledge of learning theory. But hey. Nobody seems to care and nobody wants to interview me.

I'm sick to death of this ongoing ****. I've even worked as a Level 3 for Pete's Sake. What do these schools want??!!! A bloody PhD?!

3. wicked4u2

wicked4u2 Occasional commenter

No. Lower skilled so they can pay less. They're thinking of not paying staff but on contact only.

4. pickles124

Huh? What do you mean? It doesn't look to me like they're looking for lower skilled from what ive seen. It's a bloody joke.

5. wicked4u2

wicked4u2 Occasional commenter

In my area schools are advertising violently (sic!) for cover supervisors instead of teachers. If they're understaffed, why do they go for random ppl with a degree of some SORT aka cover supervisors? And others hope for TA. It may be but the money one earns is less than a shelf organiser in Tesco.

6. pickles124

I really hardly think that schools shortlist 'random' people with a degree. The subject of degree plus experience has to be relevant. Are you saying that somebody with a degree in criminology or HR would get shortlisted??!!

7. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles pickles. Include everything that's relevant - what you learned on your course, duties and experience you gained in your roles. Make sure you come through as very passionate. Don't send the same statement for each school. Tailor it to include why you are applying for that specific school. Find out what the school is good at from ofstead and draw on those points.

8. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Fingers well and truly crossed! You must have a lot to offer and complete an excellent application form to get two interviews from two applications. Best of luck and post again if you need any help.

olunchick likes this.
  9. pickles124

Olunchick-congratulations but as for myself im not bothering anymore. Sorry. It's time to forget Education.

10. olunchick

Thank you sunshineneeded :)

I will update with interview questions on Monday.

11. olunchick

For my observation I have to deliver speaking and listening activity to a group of SEN children - quite hard to plan without knowing their difficulties ... Currently researching ...

12. sunshineneeded

Very difficult when you don't know their SEND area ... what age group? How about a barrier game? I would assume (hope) you had no more than four children; they could play in pairs after you had explained and modelled with one child. There is lots of info on line and free games to download - or you can make your own.

13. sunshineneeded

This is not my area at all - but Kim's game could also work. You could take in a variety of objects, talk about what they are before playing. That might work very well if you only had a limited time.

14. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

You could make a story game.
    Make a board. Have a bag with pieces inside and they take out and have to link the story. Eg: boy, bicycle, post box, river, dog. So they would weave a story. It means they have to listen carefully to each other and then add a sentence or more to the story waeving in the object on their card. By using a bag for pieces the story pieces are random. You can manipulate it a bit by what you offer. You could also go back over at the end encouraging improved sentences by developing the use of adjectives to develop language skills. Good luck.

olunchick likes this.
  15. olunchick

Sunshineneeded and snugglepot, thank you for your suggestions! They are greatly appreciated!

The children are in yr4. I have never had to do an activity for interview observation with a group of sen children, only when there were 1 or 2 sen in a group of 5-6.

I sat there pondering whether it is wise to email the school and politely ask if they are able to tell what the children's difficulties are - and so I did it. I thought no harm in asking, if no teply comes through at least I tried.

Sunshineneeded what is Kim's game? I can't see any references to Kim's game in any previous posts.

I have annidea for an activity but still not a definite. All I know I need some props or visual clues something to build discussion around.

16. olunchick

I quite like the story weaving idea. Thank you for that.

What I had in mind is exploring the concept of tourism/tourists. I was thinking of bringing in some pics of landmarks, airports, people in unfamiliar places etc and asking what they have in common. What do these pics have in common? Why do you think that? Etc once they focus on tourism to ask what is a tourist? Smb might say "they go to different places" then I can challenge that and say "if I go to a bank does it make me a tourist?" etc expanding their understanding in that way. Once we establish what a tourist is, give them true and false characteristics of tourists like "always travels" "always exchanges currency" and have them sort them into yes and no boxes giving their reasons for that. That's brief - there's some more to it.

Just thought there's great scope for discussion and even SEN children hopefully can relate to the topic and get excited about it ... does that sound too advanced? Honest opinions please...

17. sunshineneeded

olunchick, I guess you were never a Brownie or Girl Guide? Kim's game is when you have a collection of random small objects on a tray / piece of card - number of objects would depend on age and ability of group. You can discuss the objects first. Children then have 30 seconds to look and memorise the objects. One child will close their eyes and you remove one object. Can they tell you which one is gone? Then the missing object is replaced and it's next person's turn. Children usually love the game; everyone can have a turn. It might work very well if you only have a short time.

I like your idea and agree there's a lot of scope for discussion - I assume from it that you will be with older children?

18. olunchick

Oh I recognise the game, just never knew it's called Kim's game! Thanks you!

Children that I will be working with are in yr4.

19. olunchick

I feel the interview went well and I am in with a chance depending on how well others do I suppose.

Questions:
    Why would you like to work in this school?
    Why would you like to work with SeN children?
    Give us an example when you had to rescue a difficult situation?
    Give us an example when you had to work as part of a team?
    What difficulties are you anticipating coming across while working in this role?
    If a child told you his brother repeatedly beats him at home what would you do?
    Give us an example when you successfully worked with a group of children?
    How would you make sure you establish good communication with child’s parent?

Can’t remember any more.

Question were easier than in my previous interview and I feel I did my best, nothing I could have improved in hindsight so I am hopeful.

20. olunchick

Another question was a group of children have brought a playground argument into the classroom, what would you do?