1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR T/A

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ecoext, Apr 23, 2008.

1. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

Just how I could contribute to planning - I answered as above and then we moved on.

The teacher for whose class they were hiring was on the panel so I think the decision will also come down to who she feels she will get on with best, they are looking at personalities too not just answers to interview questions.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

olunchick, your answers all look pretty good to me and will have given a good picture of your knowledge, skills and strengths. The 'extras' that you thought of afterwards are all spot on, but the panel will have been able to see that you were nervous and look past that. Fingers crossed for you!

3. olunchick

Thank you pickles and sunshineneeded for your support, you lifted up my spirit!

I still haven't heard anything, not sure why it is taking so long.

To be honest in the past most of my work was 1:1 which I prefer, however at the moment I am applying for anything as times are hard and I need a job.

Will let you know once I hear back!

4. olunchick

And so it is quarter to seven and I have heard nothing. It's a "no" I take it.

5. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Well surely it's manners to let you know isn't it?

6. olunchick

True. Especially they know everyone is waiting for that phone call. I don't know, I have never had it happen before. I guess I need to move on.

7. pickles124

Well yes but I've certainly be sending an email to make a complaint against their poor communication skills. Just no respect by the looks of it. Unless it's a difficult decision. Did they definitely say by the end of today?

8. olunchick

Yes they definitely said by end of today. As I was about to leave the room the head reminded that it will definitely be a phone call I will be getting possibly on monday but most likely on tuesday as they will be interviewing on tuesday too. I didn't ask she said it herself. Then a member of staff saw me out as it is a big school. Strange. But I am trying to just switch off at this point.

9. pickles124

I don't know. Maybe phone them tomorrow? Say you have had no communication.

10. sunshineneeded

Yes, I would give them a call tomorrow. They will have phoned the person they are offering it to first - if they couldn't get hold of them, or if (for whatever reason) the person didn't given them an answer straight away, they won't phone the others to say 'sorry, but no' until the first choice has definitely accepted. That's just in case they have to offer it to their second choice! So, although the chance is slim, it's not over yet!

11. olunchick

Update: a decision hasn't been made and they are hoping to make an offer by end of tomorrow :rolleyes:

‍♀️

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  12. olunchick

4 days!

13. pickles124

As people have said, at least you had an interview which is something. They are stringing this out though!

14. olunchick

Having had a quick look through the forum, it made me realise how tough it is out there. I haven't worked for a year, filled out 2 applications and got a call back. So I am pleased it is something.

I keep checking local job adverts like 10 times a day and not many are coming out.

How are you getting on with your job search pickles? Any luck?

15. pickles124

Olunchick- I've sent you a private message. x

16. olunchick

Had a phone call early this morning to say it's a no. Feedback: activity was brilliant which is why they kept considering me for so long. The question that I lost points on was the role of a TA where I needed to say that I will be checking on children's progress, assessing their learning and thinking of next steps on how to help them achieve their goals. Take it on board people! Good luck to all still looking.

17. pickles124

God almighty!! That's so gutting for you. Well done though to get an interview!! You were very close like myself last time.

18. olunchick

Thank you pickles. I'm disappointed with myself for failing to mention key points in that q but oh well. I have learned.

19. sunshineneeded

Sorry you didn't get it, olunchick - especially when you were clearly SO close. But it was good interview experience and will stand you in good stead when the next one comes up ... keep applying, you'll get there!

20. olunchick

I am back with some good news. I have another interview coming up.

I only sent 2 applications. I had an interview and was unsuccessful for my second one. First application was submitted about 3 weeks ago and the interview date has passed already.

However, I had a phone call today to let me know that they have had an absolutely huge amount of applications that they didn't expect and they were late processing them! Then the lady has informed me that I have been shorlisted and the interview is next week! Yay! Keep fingers crossed for me please

nikkitan1 likes this.