1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview questions for second in dept?

Discussion in 'English' started by kiirstii, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Hi,

i've been teaching for 3 years now, and i'm planning on leaving my current job and look for promotion somewhere else. I was hoping to apply for any jobs as second in dept or as a key stage co-ordinator.

could you please give me some idea of the type of questions i may be asked or what ideas i will need to well-versed on prior to an interview?

thanks

Kirsty

2. Hi,

i've been teaching for 3 years now, and i'm planning on leaving my current job and look for promotion somewhere else. I was hoping to apply for any jobs as second in dept or as a key stage co-ordinator.

could you please give me some idea of the type of questions i may be asked or what ideas i will need to well-versed on prior to an interview?

thanks

Kirsty

3. If you do a search you will probably find a few threads devoted to this, but to start you off:

- Is Second in Dept a management or leadership role?
    - How would you support your HOD/team?
    - What qualities could you bring to the role?
    - Describe a time when you have demonstrated leadership
    - What is the difference between management and leadership?
    - How would you support a colleague having problems with behaviour?
    - How would you would effectively with your HOD?

Can't think of any more at the moment!
    Issues to consider:
    - Your vision for the role
    - General department concerns - literacy, underachieving boys, non-movers KS2-3, intervention
    - Every Child Matters
    - Study Plus/Functional Skills

Hope that's of some use! Good luck x

orkida_87 likes this.
  4. I think Hepburn covered most of the questions they may ask; they might ask something about data, like how do you use data to inform your planning etc.
    At this stage, I think that they're looking for someone who is able to think outside of their own classroom as they are probably not expecting a 2i/c or key stage coordinator to have much experience. Saying that, it would be great if you could get some experience of the types of job 2 i/cs and Key stage co ordinators do - I would have a word with my HOD and see if there's anything you could get your teeth into which would involve working with others in the department, maybe helping with mentoring an NQT. I would also try to get something develomental e.g. develoing reading or developing provision in a key stage.
    Also make sure you read up on the new curriculum changes, as this is bound to come up.

Hope this helps! good luck!

Sally

5. hey guys, thank you for your advice. it's very much appreciated!

Kirsty

6. I went to interview for KS3 coordinator last year and luckily got it.
    The first question I was asked was "So you get the job with KS3 responsibility, where do you start?" Bit harsh I thought, but got the job anyway.
    Was also asked how I would use data to inform my planning.