1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview questions and answers for ta and ta2 positions

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by anjenbilly, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Hi

I am currently preparing for ta interview and i did ok on the last one although the question that got me is what skills can i bring to the school?? any help appreciated

and am i aware of sen and what it is - i am but what should i say

and what would i do if a child swore at me?
    What factors do you think make good teamwork?
    ~ what would you do if you were faced with a challenging pupil who wouldn't listen to your instructions?~
    when i had to use my own initiative?
    and give an example fo when i used team work?

any help with these questions would be helpful and very much apreciated thanks :)

2. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Firstly well done on getting a interview.
    Without sounding rude if you are aware of SEN and know what it is why don't you know what to say.
    In answer to this, which by the way is just my own personal thoughts. A child with SEN will have a statement, sometimes they have money attached so as to employ a TA to support the child with neeeds, sometimes no money. The aim of the statement is to make sure the child gets the right kind of support to enable him/her to make progress. The statement is a legal document which sets out a childs SEN and is assessed by the LEA. Also be aware of the sen code of practice, which is an offical document the sets out guidance to meet the needs of the child.
    As to the question realating to skills, the school will be looking for something you are good at or enjoy doing, sewing, playing a musical instrument, etc, however, I cannot do any of these so I just answered on the lines of my commitment to being a good TA.
    As for the child swearing at you, every school will have different views on this, some schools I know have a policy to deal with this, if there is no policy I tell the child that what they said is unacceptable, and they need to think about what they have just said, I would always inform the class teacher, a lot depends on the age of the child.
    As to a child not listening to your instructions, I would ask the child why they feel they can't listen to my instructiuons, it could be that they don't understand, or there are to many instructions in one go, always try to talk to the child in a calm and clear manner, if you don't feel you are getting anywhere with this advise the child you will have to inform the class teacher of their refusal.
    As to using you initiative, this is something you decided to do without being told or advised, thinking on your feet so to speak.
    The team work question could be something you did to help out a teacher or TA, for example if you know that a TA /teacher has to do a display and they are working through their lunch hour you helped them to do that.
    Hope this of some help, and GOOD LUCK with the interview, let us know how it goes.