1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview questions and answer

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Ds2d12, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

What kind of answer would you give when asked “why this school in this country?”

Normally in a uk school, I’ve visited and know reasons why I like the school. But with international teaching, I’m literally going off the school website and haven’t even visited most of the countries!

My honest answer is that the school looks good online and I’ve always fancied moving to such n such country.

How can this be worded into a suitable answer without sounding contrived. What kind of answers have you seen or given!

Thanks in advance :):)

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Try to be more specific. What looks good? In what ways does the school’s ethos, approach, programme, resonate with you? What about the country attracts you, and what understanding do you have have of life there beyond the tourist approach?
    They’re looking to see that you know and embrace what you’re approaching. Not that you’re just generally enthusiastic.

ToK-tastic, PuRe, Mr_Frosty and 2 others like this.
  3. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

..... and the fact that you have gone beyond the surface research.

4. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

School Values / Mission - ideally you are able to quote, expand upon and say why you want to be part of it.
    Curriculum - formal academic, pastoral & informal holistic - ideally you are able to connect with school values / mission.
    Personal educational philosophy - ideally you are able to connect this with the curriculum and the school values.