1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview questions & Safeguarding children

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ChestnutMare, May 15, 2009.

1. hello there,
    I've had 3 job interviews over the last couple of weeks. Each time the feedback is pretty much the same, the lesson observations have gone really well but some of my answers to the interview questions have not been up to scratch. Part of this is due to me being nervous and not giving the answers I've carefully thought about the night before but I'm getting better.
    There usually seems to be a question regarding safeguarding children and I don't think I've ever managed to give a decent answer to that one. I usually mention the importance of good PSHCE education on staying clean / healthy etc, as well as showing that I am familiar with the procedure should a child make a disclosure.
    But I'm always left with the impression that the panel are expecting a more lengthy answer from me.
    Can anyone give me any advice on how to answer this question?
    thanks, Heather

2. Hi,
    I got my first teaching post two weeks ago (third interview). In every interview I got a question on this. I think it is a standard question now. I say something like this:
    " As a teacher it is so important to be vigilant. Ensuring that each child is safe is the teacher's responsibility.If there is an activity that the children have been asked to carry out that has potential risks/hazards, warn the children about this and even do a risk assessment if necessary."
    What you say is correct too and can be added.
    With any interview question if you can give an example of you using it or observing it, this will score you extra points.This was something I was told as feedback from an interview. For eg if they ask about behaviour management and how you would deal with a difficult child then don't just say 'stay positive, reward them etc-try and say 'Something I used before which worked really well, etc...'
    The way I used to practice interview answers was to write the question in the middle and then write the possible answers around the question-otherwise known as a spider diagram. That helped me!! Practice in front of the mirror-honest!!
    Good luck.
    p.s Hope I haven't gone on too much! Hope I helped.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Teacher1212 - thank you for a very helpful answer!
    And well done for getting your job - hope you are not getting too excited about September quite yet!
    Best wishes

4. 1212,
    p.s Hope I haven't gone on too much! Hope I helped.
    I've got an interview next week and have been checking on here for tips. Your post was very helpful so thanks for going on :)