1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview questions about family

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by marbeless, Dec 6, 2019.

1. marbeless

marbeless New commenter

Hello all,

I’m not sure what to make of a recent interview experience. I’m a career changer and newish to teaching. I wondered what more experienced folks thought.

I was asked repeatedly about my family. Initially this was quite informal, with several current staff telling me about their families which I took for small talk, but after a few it felt like a pattern, and then I was pressed point blank by the principal.

Are family questions normal? Are they even “legal?” I can’t see why my marital or family status are an appropriate selection criteria. I’ve never been asked such things in previous roles outside education, nor asked them as an recruiter.

Should I be running for the hills rather than pursue such a role, or is this normal?

thanks in advance

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

What kind of school was the interview at?

I am under the impression that these kinds of questions should not be asked.

Depending on your answers and situation, assumptions (right or wrong) may be made. This is not supposed to happen, but I expect sometimes it does - maybe more subtly than the situation you describe.

Without knowing more about the school it’s difficult to say whether you should run for the hills or not.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

https://www.gov.uk/employer-preventing-discrimination/recruitment
    upload_2019-12-12_20-10-8.png
    Whether the questions you were asked were legal or not depends on exactly what you were asked.
    This doesn't sound legal to me. You may have a case for discrimination.

MissGeorgi likes this.