1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview question

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by sillyme85, Jun 20, 2015.

1. In my recent interview...there was a question where I was stuck.

" At the end of the day you have been given a feedback from your CT which you completely disagree. What are your actions ?"

Though I answered it ...I thought there could be something else the interviewers were expecting.

Please give me some advice ...really need to know what to do in real situations.

Thanks

2. Belle60_3

Belle60_3 New commenter

You should speak to your CT first stating the reasons why you disagree with their feedback. If after you have done this and there is no change of the CT's views, then you should take it to your line manager. If you get no joy there, you can follow the grievance policy and, if you are a member of the union, consult them.

Some advice from an old and, some might say, slightly cynical TA - in the real world, if you know what's good for you, you don't kick up a stink except over very major things, or your life can be made very difficult and miserable. Good luck in your post. May you have a long and enjoyable role as a TA in a nice school.

3. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Your "actions" are just initially the response of surprise, which you convey to the teacher. It is likely that the explanation, this expression of surprise elicits, will go some way to satisfy you. The difference of opinion or level of confidence in the judgment is for you to assuage through an honest communicative process with the teacher.

I remember a dilemma type of question (in at least two interviews) - you are basically asked what you would do if you couldn't be in two places at the same time. First time I heard it I thought the person who asked it was really using me to speak to someone else on the panel. That is - something similar has actually come up and caused a stir, it then gets an airing with an innocent.

4. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

Wise words from Belle60 and seconded by another slightly cynical TA (retired)! Not that you would say that at an interview!! [​IMG]

5. Saland45

Saland45 New commenter

I would agree!!!!!

6. Belle60_3

Belle60_3 New commenter

Also my cynical mind is telling me that had you given the answer of following procedure as I said above, they may think twice about employing you because it shows that you're not a push over and they don't want people who rock the boat. They want pliable, yes people really. I think the answer they would prefer to hear might be 'I would listen very carefully to the CT, take on board their views and then reflect on my practice, putting into action any suggestions for improvement they made.'

7. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

Great answer Belle - love it! [​IMG]

8. swim

swim New commenter

Be humble. The teacher is the teacher for a reason and even if you disagree with her you have got to work with her. She may after all be right! A good working team is only successful if you are both honest with each other and unless the criticism becomes regular then view it as a positive thing, that the teacher only wants the best for the classroom and that she is trying to help.

9. Many many thanks for your inputs. Did really help me to understand the situation in various ways.

10. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I agree with Belle, it is one of those questions that wants a certain answer. I am sure I got my first TA role at the tender age of 19 because they wanted to mould me, it was unfortunate that the CT I worked with didn't really want a TA in with her.