1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Question - What do you all make of this??

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Nasrina, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Hi everyone,
    I've got something that i'm a bit stuck on, just wondering how you would interpret this... For my interview we have to do an additional day of school observation beforehand, and one of our interview questions is;

Describe some aspect of children's learning that you observed from your day in school. What might be the implications of what you saw for you as a beginning teacher?

I don't know about you guys but this is a bit vague for my liking. I've been thinking for the last couple of weeks about what they mean by "some aspect of children's learning" and i now have my observation day fast approaching (it's on monday). Do they mean how the children are learning or what they are learning... Or do you think they've meant to leave it open to interpretation? Any input would be much appreciated, i'm really stuck as to what to look for during my observation day on how to approach this question!

Thanks again and good luck to every one!!

2. Hi everyone,
    I've got something that i'm a bit stuck on, just wondering how you would interpret this... For my interview we have to do an additional day of school observation beforehand, and one of our interview questions is;

Describe some aspect of children's learning that you observed from your day in school. What might be the implications of what you saw for you as a beginning teacher?

I don't know about you guys but this is a bit vague for my liking. I've been thinking for the last couple of weeks about what they mean by "some aspect of children's learning" and i now have my observation day fast approaching (it's on monday). Do they mean how the children are learning or what they are learning... Or do you think they've meant to leave it open to interpretation? Any input would be much appreciated, i'm really stuck as to what to look for during my observation day on how to approach this question!

Thanks again and good luck to every one!!

3. Basically it is a catch-all phrase to include just about anything that happens in a classroom (or other learning environment, e.g. gym, sports field, assembly, trips). You may interpret in ways you think fit, such as learning styles - visual, auditory, kinesthetic, tactile etc; learning patterns, such as individual, paired, small group and whole class; other things, such as progression, differentiation, pace, interactivity, assessment, reinforcement, cross-curricular links, discussion; in literacy - speaking and listening, reading and writing.

Be concrete, and describe what you've seen. For example, 'In Y4 numeracy lesson I saw children lining up in front of the class holding up numbers and decimal point, and they demonstrated how when multiplying or dividing by 10s, 100s amd 1000s, the decimal point doesn't move but each number bounces off the decimal point and moves left or right.' You can then say you saw how children's learning was enhanced by actually doing and seeing something , whch helped to counter misconception about decimal point. As a beginning teacher, you would want to incorporate such learning styles to make teaching and learning more interesting and interactive, rather than rely on too much teacher talk (didactic teaching).

4. Hi Nasrina,

i know this post is a few years old now, but I am faced with this same question for my pgce interview (fast approaching) and have too found it to be very vague, when i ask other people we all seem to interpret it very differently.
    I was just wondering how you eventually approached the question and if it was the right way?
    Many thanks. [​IMG]