1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Question - how do you cope with a pupil who refuese to perform in Drama?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by emmakthornbury, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have a job interview tomrrow and i was wondering have you any advice on how to answer the question - what would you do if a pupil refuses to perform in Drama class?
    Thanks in advance

2. (THis was pasted from Word. I have a feeling all the formatting will go awry)

There are several possible answers to this.

Let them not perform. Ask them to direct a
    group. Result – child still engaged in lesson but it means the child has got
    its own way.

Tell the child that if they don’t perform, they
    will be referred to HOD / SLT. What is the difference between this and a child
    saying in Maths “I’m not doing any addition” ?

Get the rest of the group to encourage the
    child, but this could result in frustration on their behalf if child continues
    to refuse and make him/her even more of a hate figure and “the child no-one
    will work with”.

Disguise performance as something else. Use The Technique on my website and all will
    be solved.

Hit the child. He / she will see you point of
    view sooner or later. Of course, you will no longer be employed there to see
    the results....

Good luck with the interview

3. 12.00

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

There are several possible answers to this.
    Let them not perform. Ask them to
    direct a group. Result – child still engaged in lesson but it means the child
    has got its own way.
    Tell the child that if they don’t
    perform, they will be referred to HOD / SLT. What is the difference between
    this and a child saying in Maths “I’m not doing any addition” ?
    Get the rest of the group to
    encourage the child, but this could result in frustration on their behalf if
    child continues to refuse and make him/her even more of a hate figure and “the
    child no-one will work with”.
    Disguise performance as something
    else. Use The Technique on my website
    and all will be solved.
    Hit the child. He / she will see
    you point of view sooner or later. Of course, you will no longer be employed
    there to see the results....

4. You could try not calling it performing...maybe 'sharing' or demonstrating or explaining. Perhaps the child would get involved in the making (which is good) and not need the performing bit at all.

5. Step one: WHY is said child not performing? Are they an otherwise good worker who is painfully shy/insecure and needs encouragement, starting off maybe with non-speaking roles to get used to an audience, a line or two in a read-round, etc.
    Or are do they show off for peers but refuse to work, in which case, I'd take a more sanction based approach...
    Just two examples but that's always my go-to when asked a question like that (horribly vague and seemingly like a trap to my mind)- specify the actual behaviour rather than a vague notion of it.

6. The very few times I've had a pupil who would not perform, having encouraged them to do so, I have asked them to just perform infront of me; usually its the big audience they are not a fan of. Saying this, it can cause problems for other members of the group who are happy to perform and want to show thier work to the class if this child is in their group. I agree with above comments; its important to tackle WHY they won't perform and perhaps ease them in gently and try to build thier confidence that way.