1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview question help

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by angel28, Sep 28, 2015.

1. angel28

angel28 New commenter

Hi all
    I am sorry to bother you, but I am preparing for an interview at the end of the week where the responsibility will be Deputy Headteacher and the timetable/curriculum. Could anybody suggest any types of questions/tasks I may encounter during the interview.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Theogriff has a good set of links to help you with this, but as someone who was interviewed for DHT and HT and who, as HT in two secondary schools, interviewed candidates for several DHT & AHT posts, I'll give you my views:

1. Don't look for generalised 'lists' of questions. Use the job description to identify 'areas' and issues about which questions are likely to be asked. People who 'question spot' rarely interivew well, because they've tended to memorise set answers to set questions and they're not good if what they're hoping to hear doesn't come up (or it's asked in words they don't recognise).

2. Use these areas and issues to draw up mind maps (again, Theo has good links to how to do this) - it's a much more effective way of preparing.

As for tasks, they could be anything from:

* Observed lesson (!)
    * An in tray exercise
    * An observed discussion with other candidates
    * An observed meeting, chaired by you
    * Interviews with sub-committees on a range of topics
    * Interview with school council
    * You observe a lesson and are required to complete an assessment of it according to Ofsted criteria and possibly give feedback under observation

I could go on and it's posible others will add to this list; however, the danger is that in trying to anticipate everything that might happen, you tie yourself up in knots and don't prepare effectively. Use the mind mapping advice as your principal method of preparation - because it focuses on you and your knowledge and experiences, rather than trying to anticipate the unknown - i.e. what you DO know.

I'm tipping Theo off about your thread, so she may come along and assist.

3. Middlemarch

Theogriff has a good set of links to help you with this, but as someone who was interviewed for DHT and HT and who, as HT in two secondary schools, interviewed candidates for several DHT & AHT posts, I'll give you my views:

1. Don't look for generalised 'lists' of questions. Use the job description to identify 'areas' and issues about which questions are likely to be asked. People who 'question spot' rarely interivew well, because they've tended to memorise set answers to set questions and they're not good if what they're hoping to hear doesn't come up (or it's asked in words they don't recognise).

2. Use these areas and issues to draw up mind maps (again, Theo has good links to how to do this) - it's a much more effective way of preparing.

As for tasks, they could be anything from:

* Observed lesson (!)
    * An in tray exercise
    * An observed discussion with other candidates
    * An observed meeting, chaired by you
    * Interviews with sub-committees on a range of topics
    * Interview with school council
    * You observe a lesson and are required to complete an assessment of it according to Ofsted criteria and possibly give feedback under observation

I could go on and it's posible others will add to this list; however, the danger is that in trying to anticipate everything that might happen, you tie yourself up in knots and don't prepare effectively. Use the mind mapping advice as your principal method of preparation - because it focuses on you and your knowledge and experiences, rather than trying to anticipate the unknown - i.e. what you DO know.

I'm tipping Theo off about your thread, so she may come along and assist.

4. Middlemarch

Sorry for the double post - I must have hiccuped!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well it is excellent advice, MM, so can well be read twice.

Excellent that is, apart from one thing: the links of which you speak are not yet set up under Nu-TES, although they should be in a few days.

@angel28 - if they are ready by Thursday morning (which hopefully they should be - it's a techie thing, nowt to do with me), then I;'ll come back and give them and tag you so that you know.

6. angel28

angel28 New commenter

Thanks so much for your help.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have been in touch again today with the TES about the siting of all my advice articles, and they say it is coming . . . I'm really sorry that this is all I can say.

8. angel28

angel28 New commenter

Thanks.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter