1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Question for Primary Interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paulp21, Aug 29, 2011.

1. I am a Scottish teacher who has an interview this week. One of the things I will need to talk about is the difference between 3(a) and 3(b)? Does anyone know what 3(a) and 3(b) are? I'm assuming they are levels but I'm not sure. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Sub levels.3a -working well within level 3 and almost getting into level 4. 3b - working within level 3.
    They don't officially exist - but that's a minor point.
    Then there's expected levels - 2b at year 2, 3c at the end year 3 etc. And sub level progress.

3. Should've mentioned my interview is in England!

4. Thank you for the quick reply! Can I just clarify...
    If a child is working on 3a would that mean they have nearly attained all of the outcomes at level 3 and if they are working on level 3b they are just at the start of the level and still have quite a few outcomes to achieve.
    Thanks!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No the levels are split into 3 sub levels c being the lowest and a the highest
    a 3b is secure at level 3

6. 2004ajd

2004ajd New commenter

The way I see it if a chid is a level 3a they have achieved all level 3 criteria.
    3b I'd say that they are a solid level 3.

Sub levels can be misleading; Child A could have level 3a for one piece of work, 3b for another and 3c for another within the same subject therefore I'd probably give them a solid L3 overall.
    Hope this helps and I haven't confused you:)

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Welcome to England's fun assessment system. [​IMG]
    You need to look at APP. That will tell you lots about levels and sub levels.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

And of course they could have 3a in some areas of maths, elements of 4, elements of 2. Fun, fun, fun.

9. 2004ajd

2004ajd New commenter

Didn't think of mentioning that[​IMG]

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you look at this link and scroll down, you can find a basic outline of each sublevel. You'll need to open the files to read the levels you want.

http://teachingessentials.co.uk/targetsetting.html

What on earth kind of job is it where you have to talk about the difference between a 3a and a 3b?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Maybe they want you to assess and sublevel each foundation subject - now wouldn't that be a fun job!!

12. 2004ajd

2004ajd New commenter

Could be at my school. [​IMG] We sub level numeracy and literacy and moderate.It works for us especially when the september class changeover.
    Never known this at interview though!

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

OK I meant what on earth kind of job would you have to talk about such a thing at an interview.

We also sublevel and would expect staff to know the sublevels for English and Maths of the children they teach. But not to be able to talk in any detail about the difference between a 3a and a 3b at an interview.

I suppose another thing to talk about would be children at such levels at the end of year 5. Those at a 3a ought to go on to get a magic level 4 without any real trouble. Those at a 3b will need careful monitoring and targeting to ensure that they do.

14. 2004ajd

2004ajd New commenter

I agree, it's all about that Magic 4! I wouldn't mind betting that this "interview" is for a Y6 teacher; where a number of children didn't get the prized 4 this year.
    I'll be interesting to see if the OP will let us know, which year group [​IMG]

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh of course. Several schools near us employ teachers to teach a booster class in maths and English in year 6...

16. I had a job interview recently, here are the interview questions I was asked and the answers I gave as best as I can remember, it was for an early years position:

1. Tell us about yourself

used as an ice breaker, so self explanatory really.

2. We highly promote independent learning, what are the draw backs of this and how can you overcome them?

I said, one draw back is that in continuous provision the children may choose the same activity over and over again, which is ok as children learn through repetition too, but may want to think of ways to extend their learning further. If the children were selecting puzzles constantly, one could introduce sand timers, to encourage the children to try and get their friends to play a long side them to see who can build the puzzle the quickest. Therefore, the challenge is to ensure there are sufficient enhancements to develop their learning. I also said, having the classroom set up so learning areas are clearly defined where the resources are kept so that the children know where to access them.

3. What do you see the role of the TA, one who is highly experienced and worked for years? I said, the TA is there to assist in the smooth running of the nursery by helping to set up. However, her ideas and input and support to the children is also very important as she is there to help bring the children on in their learning too. I would value her input in observations too. I was then asked, "well how to you explain her lack of pay compared to a teacher?" I was going to say it is actually very unfair the lesser pay especially when you see the criteria in some TA positions advertised. But, what I really said was the pay is less because the responsibility falls on the teacher for planning, decision making etc.

4. A lesson that has gone well in early years.... self explanatory.

5. Is there a question we havent asked you that you would like us to ask you? For example, is there anything on your personal statement that you wish to talk more about and want as to ask you about? or anything in general? That I found hard, as never had that question before so totally made my mind go blank, but i like the question, interesting one!

6. Cant remember question 6.

I didnt get the job, got good constructive criticism. The reasons being, I stumbled on the good lesson because I had rehearsed giving my most recent lesson as an example of a good lesson, which was in a yr2 class. So when she wanted one specific to early years i had that mind blank moment and didnt come across as I should have when i did give one! And then of course after I left I thought damn! as loads of better more concise responses came to my mind lol. Second reason being, in the independent learning question, she said I mentioned having the resources near the learning areas so the children know where to access them when organised well. She said that her school doesnt arrange the nursery in learning areas so the resources are not kept in that way. It was good to know that, as it is the first school that I have heard of that dont set up the nursery in learning areas, so you learn something new every day, would be interesting to see that.

I really liked the school though, so pretty gutted I didnt get it, search goes on!