1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview question and my answer...!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by sillyme85, Jun 29, 2015.

1. In my interviews..there is a question (everytime ...without fail) about behaviour management.

My answer is (always)....

* Remind the child/children the rules * if in a group....praise the good behaviour * Give them timeout / explain the consequences * Take the issue to the CT and get advice

and always I have given them many examples regarding behavioural issues I had experienced and what actions I had taken.

Anything else to add ? Please advise.

Many Thanks

2. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

Not always about the 'big' behaviour issues. For example, during a carpet session you might need to discretely manage low-level behaviour issues so as not to disturb the teaching. A non-verbal clue for look or listen (Makaton/Makaton style) to the child may be enough to get them back on task.Maybe, moving to sit near a child if their behaviour warrants. Also, a thumbs up to a child who is showing good behaviour.

Remember that the school has a behaviour policy, so you would be working with that in mind and would consult with your CT. With younger children, (my experience is mainly KS1) stickers as a reward can be popular! It is important that you work with your CT.