1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview question about AT1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dingbatitude, Dec 3, 2011.

1. I have an interview for a Year 3 post in a few days time. The invitation letter says "Please come prepared to talk about the types of AT1 activities you would use with this group of children." It does not mention a subject.
    Any general ideas about how to approach this please? Do you think it refers to English, Maths and Science?
    Also, in connection with this can anyone explain to me why it says on the new Department for Education website ( see http://www.education.gov.uk/b00199044/mathematics/ks1) "There is no separate section of the programme of study numbered Ma1 that
    corresponds to the first attainment target, using and applying
    mathematics. Teaching requirements relating to this attainment target
    are included within the other sections of the programme of study." and what it means. Nowhere on their website can I find anything describing AT1 Maths.
    Many thanks for any help.

2. I would ring the school to clarify which subject- it may just be a clerical error. Seems strange to be so general. :)

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

AT1 in maths and science is all about solving open ended problems. AT1 in English is S&L. So I think you should just talk generally about how you use group work and talk in class to ensure progress of children. It would be generic to all subjects. Use examples (even if made up ones that you haven't actually done, but would given the opportunity, though don't tell them that) from all three subjects, and some foundations ones. Show that you use problem solving, investigation, talk type activities in all subjects.

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Whatever subject it is ... and it may be deliberately vague to check your understanding... make sure you plan activities which encourage children to reason, explain, solve problems.
    Ensure talk is a focus, including listening to each other and talk about their methods, choices etc.
    Using and Applying in any subject should be woven throughout any lesson, it should be at the core of teaching and learning, which is why it is integrated in other strands so as not to be treated as a separate entity taught once a week on a Friday afternoon.
    You may also want to discuss use of AfL and how you encourage and support children to reflect on their own learning.
    Good luck ... Carrie [​IMG]

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I'd strongly recommend ringing to check which subject they are referring to. After all, they could conceivably be talking about AT1 in MFL, which is just Listening/Responding, so presuming that it's for all subjects seems a bit vague to me.
    I'd have thought that it would most likely be in either Maths or Science, depending on the nature of the role being advertised, and the school's priorities. A look at their most recent Ofsted might give a clue. If Maths Using & Applying was a weak area, then you can be pretty certain that that's what they're looking for.
    Just give them a quick ring to double-check. Better safe than sorry.