1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview process??

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by nandos33, Jan 30, 2012.

1. nandos33

nandos33 New commenter

I have recently ben rejected by my 1st choice (Chichester), having had interview on 23rd Jan. When I checked on my 2nd choice (Portsmouth) it said there are no vacancies. My application has not come back so far, but does this mean I have no chance of even getting an interview here?
    It's frustrating as I sent my application through within a couple of hours of admissions opening back in October, and because of personal circumstances I can only apply to local universities - there are 2 that I can get to in my area. Have I lost all chance of getting onto a course for September 2012? Does anyone know the reason for this rather bizarre admissions system?

2. StarbabyCat

StarbabyCat New commenter

It was very wrong of Chichetser for keeping you waiting for so long! I know what you're going through, I only had 1 option to apply to because of my circumstances. Last year I was unsuccessful after interview and I was gutted. The year before that I applied but two days later GTTR listed no vacancies so I missed that one. It's very cruel. All I can say is if you want it enough keep applying in subsequent years. I applied to the same place for the 3rd year, and finally I'm in. They were impressed with my determination!

Good luck with it all.

3. nandos33

nandos33 New commenter

Thanks StarBabyCat, it's good to know that others have had similar experiences and still been successful! Did you have to go and get a whole load of new classroom experience for subsequent applications?

4. StarbabyCat

I did mange to get work as a cover supervisor, which has been excellent. It is in a grammar school though, so not direct experience. I wanted to make myself 'un-rejectable' so I got one day in a comp of observation too. I have an MA and a 2:1, I literally did everything I could possibly do so that they would let me in. And they did!

5. My friend at university had the same issue - she waited up 2 six weeks to hear back from her first choice. She had been unsuccessful and by the time the application reached other places they were all full.

I think GTTR received a high number of applications again this year and struggling to keep up with it all.

6. StarbabyCat

I think its most likely the providers that are taking too long to make decisions. Especially if they are waiting to hear their allocations from the TDA. There does seem to be something very unfair about the system.

7. nandos33

nandos33 New commenter

I phoned Portsmouth and they've still got places, so fingers crossed I'll get an interview. It's not a great system though, it only works for those fortunate enough to get their first choice!

8. They're currently reviewing the application process and one proposal is that each of your chosen providers will receive your application at the same time, possibly bringing this in from 2014...