1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview problem...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missrobinhood1973, Oct 13, 2019.

1. missrobinhood1973

missrobinhood1973 New commenter

hi all,

Had an interview last week for a job which I will find out about next week. My current employer has already advertised my job. Can they do this? Haven’t handed in my notice and have questions as to whether they can sack you for going for an interview?!

Help!

2. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

They're probably just being sensible.
    If they wait for it to be offered to you and for you to give your notice, by the time they place the ad any prospective candidates will have missed the resignation deadline.

3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

They can't sack you unless you have done something very unprofessional. Going for an interview is not unprofessional. As blue451 says, they're just advertising in case you get the job. It'll be a bit late in a couple of weeks time.

4. missrobinhood1973

Ah right. That makes sense. I’ll try to stop panicking! Thank you!

5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Plus, if they've already advertised, they obviously think you'll be offered the job you've applied for!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Double post.
    Seems this was only half saved and I didn't think it had posted.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would also imagine that they're worried that by the time you've had the interview and been offered the job, it would be too late to advertise, sort and interview before the Oct 31st deadline (assuming your school works to Burgundy Boo?) so they're just getting prepared.

nomad and pepper5 like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

1 Speak to Union

2 Do not feel pressurized to hand in your notice either.

3 Wait until you have clarified the new job and pay scale in writing before you hand in your notice

4 If you do hand in your notice - leave it by email on the 30th Oct (assuming 31st Oct is deadline)

5 If anyone asks you about your new job or congratulates you - simply say you have not given in your notice just yet. And say no more.

6 Its called 'game playing' and your ht sounds furious to me and/or in a state of panic. Do not fall for it or leave until you get all details. You might decide not to accept the job for example if the pay/details do not arrive on time.

And congratulations - I hope it all goes well.

9. missrobinhood1973

Thanks everyone! Feel a lot calmer!

install and pepper5 like this.
  10. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

I assume you asked and were given permission to attend the interview?

sbkrobson and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Please don't forget to ask what your pay will be before you accept the job if it is offered to you. Don't assume your current pay scale will be automatically transferred to a new post. Too many on here have discovered, too late, that the pay was less than they had assumed.

Good luck! :)

12. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

It’s been mentioned, but definitely get your job offer in writing before resigning!!

My union told me that email resignations are a back up. The head/CoG need it in writing- dated and signed, preferably placed into a human hand! Schools are usually on holiday at resignation deadlines and the post office usually keep hold of the deliveries.
    If you email, who’s to know if it’s been seen or not!

13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, they can advertise whatever they like, but they can't offer the job unless you have resigned. My guess is that they can put together a shortlist and invite people to interview in time for them to resign before 31 October if you get the job and resign in time.

Assuming that you did not take time off for the interview without permission, of course they can't. If you did go without permission, then perhaps it could be seen as gross misconduct leading to dismissal. But they would still have to go through the appropriate disciplinary procedure.

The advice on getting relevant details, especially salary (do not accept just a grade as these can vary) of the new job in a written offer is good.

sbkrobson likes this.
  14. missrobinhood1973

Thanks for all the advice. I'll follow it all and I'll definitely get the offer in writing and check salary before I hand in my notice.

install, DexterDexter and agathamorse like this.
  15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

How do you know it is your job which is advertised?
    Perhaps a colleague is leaving, unknown to you? Or going part time? Or perhaps there is some sort of expansion or sideways shift within your department? These things can happen without anybody thinking to communicate about it.

Also, I too need to ask-did you take time off from work in order to attend an interview and inform the school that this was the reason for your absence?

Piranha likes this.
  16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes. Or, stronger than that, did you obtain permission to attend?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy New commenter

No. We don't need permission to attend. We inform the school we will be going for an interview.
    I do not understand why teachers are so servile. We are adults doing a job, not children that need to be directed.

annascience2012 likes this.
  18. missrobinhood1973

Yes, I did go through all the proper channels. I wouldn’t have dreamt of doing anything illicitly.

install and Piranha like this.
  19. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yes.

20. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

How do you know it’s your job? Could they be re-structuring or be allocated more budget to recruit an extra member of staff. Why not just ask the HT tomorrow?