1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview presentation help please.

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Gavin14774, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Gavin14774

Gavin14774 New commenter

As part of an interview I have been asked to give a 10 minute presentation on "“How to be creative and innovative when designing classroom based IT sessions” I have all sorts of ideas going through my head and I seem to be confusing myself! Any advice as to how you would go about it would be greatly appreciated.

2. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

What have you got so far?

3. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

This is just about the dumbest title for a presentation going. They should be asking you to teach a topic in their specification so they can see how you approach it, not this nonsense. Withdraw from the interview and find a school that understands the purpose of interviews, and tell them that you have no idea what they are looking for - you are a Computer Science teacher, not a philosopher. It will be their loss, given there are so few Computer Science teachers about these days.

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

...and clearly wasn't set by a fan of evidenced-based practise, and the current research seems to suggest that telling students stuff is at least as effective as gimmicky activities. Or as our friendly-neighbourhood "subject genius" put it, challenge and repetition are better than fun.

border_walker likes this.
  5. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

They clearly want to see if you are capable of putting together 'classroom based IT sessions', that the students will find engaging and interesting, as a refreshing alternative to 'Death By PowerPoint'. If you are teaching IT/ICT, you may find that easier than if you are teaching Computing Science.

The wording suggests to me they are more interested in how the OP approaches producing lessons and resources in general terms, rather than focusing on a single topic. I assume they are looking for confirmation the applicant is not a one trick pony.

The OP's profile doesn't actually say whether they are a Computing Science teacher. It does show they've been teaching since 2000. If the OP has been teaching IT/Computing for that length of time, then I suspect the interview is more about making sure the applicant is not so long in the tooth, and set in their ways, that they can't produce material students would not see as boring or stuffy.

They are looking for a CS teacher with a specific set of skills, to deliver lessons the way they think they should be delivered. Right or wrong, they are entitled to do that. The purpose of an interview is to allow the employer to determine if an applicant meets their requirements. It is not to allow an applicant to dictate how the job should be done. If the OP feels strongly enough to withdraw, the school will simply find someone else who is willing and capable to do the job the way they want it done. The OP simply has to decide if they want the job, and is so, what they are prepared to do in order to get it.

I was never a fan of edutainment for its' own sake. But I don't think trying to make the lessons more interesting and engaging can do any harm. IMHO, it's a balancing act. Challenge and repetition may well be better than fun for the friendly neighbourhood subject genius. But for CS as a subject to attract sufficient numbers of students, then surely at some point the wants of the students themselves have to be taken into account?

6. maggie_piano

maggie_piano New commenter

Probably done your interview now- however I would describe lessons you have done that showed creativity and innovation. i.e. whats worked for you. Probably on a fishing trip- many interviews use this because its quicker than delivering a lesson and allows older teacher to update their practice.