1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview preparation

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by HealthSocialCareFairy, Oct 2, 2017.

1. SocialSciencesFairy

SocialSciencesFairy New commenter

Good Afternoon, I am currently the Head of PSHE in a large comprehensive school (for 3 years), and I have an interview to become a HoD across 3 subject areas (R.E, Sociology and Citizenship). I have taught all of those subjects, and I am confident in the interview/lesson element of the day. However I know I will have to a data task. I don't have a great deal of data experience as PSHE isn't assessed/leads to a GCSE qualification. I have an understanding of P8 but I don't think my understanding of attainment 8 is great- likewise I don't have that great of understanding when looking at whole cohorts. I would guess I will be given my faculty data and I would prioritize looking at the most vulnerable groups in the first instance. If anyone has any experience of these tasks I'd be very grateful of some advice/insight into them!

2. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I think that the data task is very likely to be along the lines of your guess. You may be asked to interpret the data and suggest strategies for improving performance for those groups that are underachieving. Check that you can explain residual grades too.
    But you can't really prepare any further than this.
    Others may have experienced different tasks that they can share.
    Best of luck.

3. SocialSciencesFairy

Thank you for your reply, what do you mean explain residual grades?

4. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I'm not great at explaining this - the residual grade shows you what the students grade in your subject was in relation to the rest of their grades. So if it's -2, then they got two grades lower in your subject than in their others. So even if they met their target, you would wonder why they didn't achieve so highly in your subject as their others. If that's the case for most students in a teaching group then it might point to an issue. Please look this up to find a clearer description!

HealthSocialCareFairy likes this.
  5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

You may also be asked to look at students progress against their target grades - are students achieving their target grades across the department and for each main group (High, Medium Low prior attainment, PP, Male v Female etc.)

6. SocialSciencesFairy

Thank you both so much, really helpful advice. I'm just hoping that they see this is something I will pick up on the more I do it and give me that opportunity!