1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interview prep help please

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by mrstaylor79, Jun 5, 2020.

1. mrstaylor79

mrstaylor79 New commenter

i have a virtual interview next Thursday for a 1 to 1 role within year 3. i have to prepare a plan for a 10 minute activity for a Math activity. for a 1 to 1 around adding and subtracting 10. i would like to do something that would keep the student interested and quite fun. just don't know what. as the interview is virtual i am not carrying out the activity just planning.
    i have been out of the classroom for 3 years.

jacqui

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I'm very out of touch with this age group, but as a warm-up we would count in 10s together from zero, forwards and backwards to 100. Then my first instinct would be to give them a calculation and let them work it out with resources - unifix or multilink cubes. Get them to write down what they find - 13 + 10 = 23, etc. You only have 10 minutes, so only a couple, and I'd probably only focus on addition. Once they've done that, stop and look at the caluculations. Get them to identify place value (tens and units, or ones - whichever title the school uses). Ask questions - which digit changes? Which one stays the same? Would that always work? Do one or two more with the cubes to check. I would then look at 100 square (there are lots of colourful ones to download online) and 'prove' that it works, getting them to notice that the tens digit increases by one for each 10 added and the units always stays the same. If time, ask them a couple more questions using the 100 square rather than cubes. Remember to use mathematical language wherever you can - digit, tens, ones, calculate, increases, etc.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do! Let us know how it goes.