1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Interview predicament, do I withdraw????

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by cally1980, Jul 4, 2011.

  1. cally1980

    cally1980 Established commenter

    Verbal is binding, it would be really bad form to accept and then go back on your word. However, a job offer does not mean you have to accept so you could see how the teaching interview goes and decide from there whether to accept or hold out for the Graduate Training Programme.
     
  2. so when they say in an interview, 'if we were to offer you the position, would you accept?'
    and I said yes, would that be binding? or is it only binding after they offer me the position and I accept?
     
  3. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    Yes

     
  4. PaulDG

    PaulDG Occasional commenter

    No.
    It's binding if they then went on to offer the post, and you accepted.
    There has to be offer and acceptance. They can't "trap" you that way any more than you can say "yes thanks" and assume the job is yours!
    (It's unusual for the question to be posed in that way anyway; it's usual to as "are you still a serious candidate for the position".)
     
  5. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    They'll be seriously unhappy if you say yes your a firm candidate, they send all the other applicants home and then you say 'er no I've changed my mind'.
     
  6. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    I'd go to the teaching interview and decide as soon as p[ossible in the process if you like the school nad think you would fit in.
    Then, when asking them questions, inquire if the post might last longer than a term or if there might be additional work that would enable you to complete some of your Induction.
    The post would have to be on an induction basis, with a 10% timetable reduction, even if ultimately the candidate won't complete an Induction term. The qualifier for being registered witht he LA as an NQT is that the post, f/t or p/t, is intended to last for the equivalent of a school term.
    If you have reservations about the school, department, pupils you've encountered and feel as though you'd much prefer the other work opportunity, withdraw before they make their selection.
    My sister came from industry and found it very strange that candidates for a teaching job had to make their minds up on the interview day. Most other work places give you a few days or a week to consider an offer.
    On your other point, there's no point accepting verbally and hoping that a contract will arrive before your other interview. Teaching contracts rarely appear before the end of the first TERM of teaching! It's annoying as the contracts are standard ones and it 's crazy that they can't be issued as soon as they get satisfactory references.
    I left on post (a fixed term one) before ever getting a contract.
     
  7. I would prefer the other work opportunity but I have to think what if I maybe got the teaching position and not the graduate program.
    The other thing with the teaching is that I dont have a car and its not easy to get to but it is do-able, however, its in northumberland and I will be travelling from a small village where public transport isnt great at normal times and during the winter months with snow its even worse, which I encountered first hand last winter. I cant justify buying a car with one terms 0.8FTE worth of work.
    The thing is if I go to the teaching interview and got offered the job I would not want to accept until the outcome of the graduate interview which I know is not poosible.
    And I cant accept the teaching position and then withdraw if I get offered the graduate position????
     
  8. No you can't. You would be pretty miffed if a school offered you a job and then rang a few weeks later to let you know that they had changed their mind because a better offer came along...
     

Share This Page