1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Poem

Discussion in 'English' started by d_sarfraz, Oct 11, 2018.

1. d_sarfraz

d_sarfraz New commenter

Hey Guys

I have an interview next week and I've been asked to teach poetry to a high ability year 7 class. It will be the first time they will come across poetry this year.

Any ideas of which poem I could do?

Thanks for your help/advice in advance.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Have a quick look on the resource section of this site. There are many resources to do with poetry. I am sure you will find some ideas.

3. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

I have lots of ideas but it's not my interview. Go with something you know well and feel confident with.

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

If it's the first poem of the year, you might do a poem about poetry and elicit their ideas about poetry - reduce the fear and push back before you delve in deeper. Google 'poems about poetry' for some ideas.

5. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

6. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

What do you want them to learn? That will impact your choice of poem massively.

7. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Seriously doubt the school has told d_sarfaz.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Charge of the light brigade. Accessible to all.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I know one I would not pick: Jabberwocky.

LOL

10. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

upload_2018-10-13_13-16-58.png
    upload_2018-10-13_13-17-21.png

The Milgram Conjecture

plus the full reference - 1963 Jnl Abnormal Psychology (which is something like this but longer)

This is not a 'poem' - how is it (arguably) poetic ? - it being the bare collocation of some selection from the prose to an article/research finding table, the table, adding a title and a reference. The material uses some knowledge/exploration of the experiment and its sociological relevance to afford something like a core disappointment. With a shared allusion a writing task may ensue.

11. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

A Case of Murder - Vernon Scannel lots of examples of poetic technique, dramatic, good story.

pepper5 likes this.
  12. SelectMyTutor

SelectMyTutor New commenter

First, choose a topic that is Inspirational for children. Search relevant ideas and start writing a poem. Keep confidence in speaking.