1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview poem idea needed

Discussion in 'English' started by galvatron20, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Afternoon all. I have an interview on Thursday and been struggling to come up with a poem to look at.
    I am to teach a class of mid to high ability year 8's 'any aspect of poetry' for 20 minutes.

I was planning on looking at some types of figurative language and perhaps things like personification and pathetic fallacy for brighter ones but can't find or think of a poem that's pretty short with some good examples.

Has anyone got any ideas of short poems rich in figurative langauge?

2. How about doing Shakespeare's sonnet 18 - it's one long simile? Also, you could bring in the structure of the sonnet aswell.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. leola

leola New commenter

how about 'Mirror' by plath? You cn look at metaphor and symbolism. Good to get them guessing what the object is too by identifying the metaphors. They can then write their own metaphor poem. I have a powerpoint so if you reply with your email ad or message me it I will send it to you :)

5. Rudo7164

Rudo7164 New commenter

Hi your ideas sound great.Could you kindly send me a copy of your powerpoint pleas?Thanks
    amscottuk@yahoo.co.uk

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Rudo, do you want this powerpoint for an interview lesson? do you think someone else's resources will give an accurate picture of your own ideas and strengths?