1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview - Planning for Differentiation

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by babyblue22, May 22, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I found out on Friday I have been shortlisted for my first interview (Wed). I have to teach a 30min lesson that is literacy based but through another subject such as Geography to Y3 class. There will be a teaching assistant to support a group of SEN children and there are two EAL in the class. Their writing levels range from 1b to 3c.
    My lesson will focus around a postcard I have that was sent from China by a child of the same age thus the plan is for them to each write a postcard back (even made a little postbox for them to put their postcards in when they have finished). I was originally going get them to write letters but I realised 15 mins (max) isn't long enough for them to plan and write a letter. I'm thinking of providing a word bank (SEN and EAL), and I plan to model what they should write about (their age, hobbies etc) but other than that I'm not sure how to differentiate as I don't know the class and won't be able to put them in mixed ability pairs etc.
    I have the opportunity to teach the lesson to a class of year 2 children (most of whom are already at a 3c for writing) tomorrow so I'm hoping to tweak anything major that pops up.
    I just wanted some advice really from anyone who may have been in a similar situation. I'm starting to panic about the whole process but I'm hoping if I'm confident about my lesson I will be less nervous about the task and interview.
    Thanks in advance!
    Kim

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If they are writing postcards, can you get them to write about where they live rather than introduce themselves? To then talk about their local area would hit the geography LOs as well as literacy.

To differentiate, you could have sentences already started on postcards about themselves (ignore what I wrote above) for the least able children to finish off.
    Then the lower ability could use the word banks to write post cards about their area.
    The middle and higher can just write freely.

Sounds a lovely lesson, especially the real postcard to start and a postbox.

Remember to think about a plenary...maybe fish some out of the postbox to read out and peer assess to the SC?

3. Thank you for your speedy reply!
    I agree about the local area and saying where they live (NC for Geography and Citizenship talks about comparing different localities and places/people). In the postcard the little girl talks about her name and nickname (and what they mean in Chinese), how old she is, where she lives (Hong Kong), her favourite subjects at school and her hobbies. Thus I plan to introduce the lesson by telling the children I received the postcard in the post that morning and see if anyone can tell me where its from, then we will use a map on the IWB to locate Hong Kong, China. I will then read the postcard (as if it is intended for them as a class) and then display on IWB for them to see. I plan to then model a postcard we could write back (using key ideas from the original, like she's told us where she lives should we tell her where we live? etc).
    Your differentiation ideas sound great! Would you give the LA worksheets with the world bank rather than displaying it on the IWB?
    For the plenary, I had similar ideas. Before they 'post' them I was going to choose a few to read theirs out and use 'two stars and a wish' or some other form of peer assessment.
    Thanks again, I feel a little happier about the lesson now as I felt like I was stabbing in the dark with it and or being too adventurous!
    Kim

4. Sorry, I was also wondering...do you think I should give them blank postcards as they may not have time to decorate them...plus as they are looking for a written outcome I want the focus to be on their writing not drawing skills. I thought about giving them postcards with the British Isles on the front (x to mark the city in which they live) so if they finish they can colour them or an extension could be to draw the stamp (might take them a few mins). I just know some children can be speedy and whiz through work like this and I want to make sure I have a back up plan!
    Kim

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh OK then. Since the card received introduces the person then the replies should do so as well.

Postcards with the British Isles on the front or a county map of where they live or a mix of both. Or maybe a picture of a local landmark would all be good. I'd have a variety myself, but I'd be making a display afterwards!

Personally I'd use the IWB with a wordbank, or have each word on a cloud that I blu-tac to the IWB. Would depend how I feel.
    Now think carefully. Extension means going above and beyond the LO for the lesson. Will drawing a stamp or colouring in do this? If so then use it as an extension, if not then you will do yourself out of a job before you even get there.

I would randomly choose cards from the postbox and read them myself for a class I don't know. I'd not want to choose a child who hates reading out or similar. Two stars and a wish orally is a good assessment.

It sounds a fab lesson. You can come and do similar with my year 6 if you wish!

6. Hi BabyBlue, I think your lesson sounds fantastic and the differentiation is good too! I may have to steal this and use it in my classroom when we do postcards! Just a little tip, I did a short lesson where children had to write postcards to their family/friends about a holiday they had been on. I provided them will brochures of places etc to give them loads of ideas as I thought they would find the content the most difficult thing. However, so many of them got hung up on the address, how to write an address, what a postcode was - so in the end the original lesson had to be scrapped and a lesson on how to write an address began! So make sure you have the address already written on the postcard so they can focus on the content. Good Luck!!

7. Thank you for the tip bobshki. I managed to road test the lesson today with a Year 2 class (similar writing levels) and it went down well (although many are now expecting replies from China!!). I hadn't written the address on their postcards but I found, like you said, they spent too long on writing the address so I've decided to put it on for the interview lesson (as well as lines as many struggled to write in straight lines).
    I feel a little more confident with the lesson now so I'm hoping nerves don't take over at the interview!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Very best of luck!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

FANTASTIC!!!! Well done you!

10. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

[​IMG] Congraulations x