1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview on Wednesday...argh

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by beats_56, Jun 6, 2011.

1. I'm so nervous about my interview on Wednesday! Mainly because I tend to ramble when I'm nervous and this interview means everything to me. I'm an NQT and this is my first real interview. I kind of expect to have about 5 or 6 interviews before I get offered a job but I still want to impress. I've been doing supply since last year and was recommended for the post by the Head of a school I've been in for the past 4 month. There are 4 jobs available, which makes me feel a bit optimistic but don't want to get my hopes up. I teach primary.

The thing is, I don't know if I'm expected to take anything with me!?!? I've seen on here that you should take a portfolio but of what? I have nothing to take. I found out via post during half term that I had an interview and the last day of term was my last day at the school I've been working at since February. So I haven't been able to get examples of the children's work or my marking or pictures of displays I've done etc. The only thing I could really take would be my CV or examples of my planning but would that mean anything given on it's own. I don't want to walk into the interview and have nothing but at the same time, don't want to look like I have little to show.
    I don't even know if its acceptable not to take anything with being an NQT.

Also, I want to make sure I have a good question to ask the panel and thought it would be a good idea to ask one about being an NQT as this will make me different to others. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I wouldn't worry about not being to take anything. No point doing so just for the sake of it unless its really relevant to what you want to say. Don'tpanic and a HUGE congratulations I'm also job hunting at the moment and its very hard to even get an interview so Well done! Fingers crossed and let us know how you get on xx

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've never taken anything like a portfolio to an interview, nor can I picture a point where I would have been able to show it. The only times I've ever taken anything at all is when they have specifically asked me to. If they haven't asked you for anything then they won't want anything. I've only once not got the post (and that was just a few weeks ago for a promotion and no-one else had anything either) so it can't be a necessity.

Stop worrying and relax. Best of Luck!

4. Good luck! :)

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Honestly - if they wanted you to take anything they'd have said so. As a head (secondary) I used to cringe a bit when a candidate got a portfolio out, because it meant I had to tell them we couldn't look at it as the others hadn't been given the chance to bring anything. It was only usually art or DT candidates, but we did get the occasional one who enthusiastically got out their record of achievement from school. Bless.
    Good luck with your interview. Spend your time thinking about the key issues, questions they might ask and rehearsing answers in your head. Give lots of examples from your practice.

6. aww thanks for the replies. I feel a lot more relaxed about the whole portfolio thing. My interview is at 2pm tomorrow and another teacher I know has an interview at 1:30 so its only going to be half an hour. Plus it's through a recommendation so I'm not having to teach or anything. Just trying to think of some good examples of a lesson that went well etc and keeping everything crossed. I'll let you know how I get on.

7. littlemissraw

How did it go? x

8. GOT THE JOB!!!! Wooooo!
    I start in September and will teach year 1. I was sooo nervous before and during the interview, in fact, I think I was physically shaking. Interview was at 2pm and lasted only 20 minutes. They rang at 4:15 and said I presented myself well in the interview and although it was clear I was new to teaching (whatever that insinuates haha), they think with their support, I'd do really well and would like to offer me the job. It is for 2 terms initially but will continue if I do well; kind of like a probationary period, not sure if this is because I'm an NQT??
    They had interviews all day every half an hour and only myself and another girl I know were offered jobs. Wooo. Thanks for all the advice guys.

9. well done! I bet you are so chuffed! im in the midst of applying for jobs, had 2 interviews already but lost out to more experienced people. starting to think il never get a job but will keep going! well done again on getting your job!

10. Thank you! I've just been really lucky with it being my first interview. There were 6 jobs all together, 4 were taken before I had my interview by students already at the school and the other 2 were taken by myself and a friend out of 10 candidates. Keep going, you will find the right school for you!

11. littlemissraw

Thats brilliant news [​IMG] well done xx