1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview on Thursday! Help needed please!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by chloe1402, Jan 16, 2012.

1. chloe1402

chloe1402 New commenter

Hi,

I have an interview on Thursday. The interview guide I received asks for a letter of recommendation from a primary school which I have recently worked in. I now have this, it was given to me in a sealed envelope. I'm now in the dilemma as to whether to open and read before my interview or not?! The interview guide states 'You will be able to discuss any letter of recommendation that you have brought from a school you have worked in.' This to me indicates I should have already read it and be prepared to discuss it. What do you think?

2. Could you open it, read it and then put it back in another envelope?

3. Are you expecting the letter to contain anything daming? I suspect not, so why the desire to open it? Surely the letter is addressed to an individual.
    More importantly handing over the original sealed envelope to the interview panel and then answering any subsequent questions will produce some honest and realistic answers. If you read the letter it may alter your answers and possibly draw their attention to other things.
    For what it is worth, I would not open it. Good luck with your interview.

4. chloe1402

chloe1402 New commenter

Thank you so much for the advice, sometimes hearing someone else's perspective helps a lot! I think I'm just over worrying about anything that could go wrong in the interview, argh!!

Its in a plain sealed envelope with nothing written on it, I'm not sure if the head would have addressed it to anyone. I have just written on the front of the envelope (in pencil) 'Letter of recommendation from (School)' I have placed it within my folder which contains my exam certificates etc.

Many thanks :)

5. Open it. Read it. Prepare some answers. Why not? How would they even know it was originally in a sealed envelope anyway? You might as well be as prepared for any potential questions that could occur as possible

6. I would not stress too much about the letter...
    -I think you just need to be prepared to talk about the experience you have had up to now in terms of being in a primary school.
    -Look into a current iniative currently facing primary education.
    -Think about... why do you want to go into teaching?
    -Maintain eye contact (very important!)
    After my interview a few years ago now, once I got onto the course I gradually found out these were all the things they were looking for.
    Good Luck! :)