1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview on Monday...But other job deadlines not until later

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by AmandaMould, Jun 30, 2011.

1. I'm lucky enough to have an interview on Monday for a college I'd feel comfortable working in. My problem is that the job itself is temporary (maternity). I have two other applications I'm hopeful for (perm and full time) that would also suit me - but their deadlines aren't until the middle of next week.
    I guess I'm jumping before the gun and guessing I'd be offered a post on Monday - but should I wait for a permanent position? (which i really need, with childcare/ NQT year etc) and how long could I keep them waiting for an answer?
    I know it's really unprofessional - but it's purely down to finance/NQT induction rather than school preference
    What to do???

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview - make sure you read the interview clickables in the WElcome thread to prepare.
    Here are some threads that may be of interest to you . . .
    Dear Theo and people in the know! A little advice please!!!
    If offered a job, must I decide instantly?
    Good luck in that interview! _____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

3. A word of caution. I had 2 dep head interviews Monday and Tuesday and was offered job Monday so pulled out Tuesday. This was 4 yrs ago and I needed one of them to relocate and hand my notice in by deadline etc. Anyway it was my worst nightmare come true and I left after 6 weeks. I am now job hunting after a redundancy in march and it's made me very cautious.