1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview on Friday for a FT teacher at a special school

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Clodhop, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Clodhop

Clodhop New commenter

Hi all,

As above, I have an interview shortly and am a little unsure as to what to teach during the observation. I am from a secondary and primary background and haven't taught in a special school before.

The only information I have been given is:
    - teach a maths activity of 20 minutes to 4 chn
    - pupils are a mixture of ages from yr 2-6, similar cognitive needs
    - ranges from P5-P8
    - they have a range of learning difficulties, including speech and communication
    - build on prior knowledge and extend into new learning ( not told prior learning)

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do,

Any tips, greatly appreciated!

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

Congratulations on securing an interview!
    As for the topic... There is quite a big difference between a P5 and a P8 student! And not knowing anything about their prior knowledge is not helping either...

I think the easiest would be around shapes where you could have students sorting big and small (p5), making patterns, identifying shapes or describing shapes (p8). There are quite a lot of songs to start the lesson with.
    I think numbers will be harder because a P5 in number might just know there is something called 1 and 2 and P8 is doing simple additions so that gap is very wide.

3. Clodhop

Clodhop New commenter

Thank you, Sanneme,

I posted a response, which seems to have disappeared!

With such a short timescale from P level information to obs, taken ' number' Into account, sorry.

Currently not working in ' education', thus, don't even talk to me re accessible SEND resources, or any resources, for that matter!

Shall Osborb all grateful advice, tomorrow.

4. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

If somebody would be in my class for an interview, I would look for the personalisation. There should be a clearly different activity for the p5 and the p8 student.
    If you would like to use number (did I get that right from your reply?) maybe start with a familiar counting song and work around there. You could have students pointing at the numbers, interactingn in the song (push a monkey off the bed for example) and then you could have students identifying the numbers, matching them to another set of numbers, sequencing them, act out the song themselves, etc :).