1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview on Atomic Structure....how can you make it fun? Help please

Discussion in 'Science' started by becky_harg, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I'm a trainee and have just got my first interview on Monday.
    I have to do a lesson for a year 9 group of mixed ability on an introduction to atomic structure and I'm stuck for ideas on how to make the theory interesting. The lesson is only 30 minutes long and must include a good aspect of afl.
    I thought I could have a people model as a starter and finish with something like a pyramid plenary but can't think how to make this not just me talking...

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Hi there,
    I'm a trainee and have just got my first interview on Monday.
    I have to do a lesson for a year 9 group of mixed ability on an introduction to atomic structure and I'm stuck for ideas on how to make the theory interesting. The lesson is only 30 minutes long and must include a good aspect of afl.
    I thought I could have a people model as a starter and finish with something like a pyramid plenary but can't think how to make this not just me talking...

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Hi
    I found this activity, I think it is similar to what you were thinking of doing as a starter.
    http://www.middleschoolscience.com/atomicmusicalchairs.pdf
    There are videos of Atomic structure on YouTube, have a look there.
    What's a pyramid plenary?
    You could get the children to design their own atom as a plenary. Then then you could tell them that it already exists! Except if they add in a million protons, electrons and neutrons or something like that! What would they call their element?
    Good luck!

4. Great thanks, it's difficult to know what the classroom is like as that could end up being a real problem.
    A pyramid plenary is where they have a pyramid and they write one thing they knew before the lesson at the top, 2 things they would like to know now in the middl, and 3 things they now know at the bottom.