1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview offered-Do I go to check the place out and request a tour of the school?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by GoldenBuddha, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I have been offered an interview in England for a job in an international school and am super excited as the school/post sounds just up my street.
    Anyway. It is half term coming up and I am wondering whether to go over there (it's a long way) and weigh the city up and see the school/accomodation. Just to look around and get a feel for it. It's a big decision. Would the Head see this as odd or is it standard practice? Would they take me on a tour?
    Are you a Head that can provide any thoughts on the matter? Or do you have experience in this field? I don't want them to think I am over confident or nuts...or both.

GB x

2. Hi all,
    I have been offered an interview in England for a job in an international school and am super excited as the school/post sounds just up my street.
    Anyway. It is half term coming up and I am wondering whether to go over there (it's a long way) and weigh the city up and see the school/accomodation. Just to look around and get a feel for it. It's a big decision. Would the Head see this as odd or is it standard practice? Would they take me on a tour?
    Are you a Head that can provide any thoughts on the matter? Or do you have experience in this field? I don't want them to think I am over confident or nuts...or both.

GB x

3. Hi GoldenBuddha,
    at my present school in BKK, I was actually flown in (after being offered, though) to tour the school and "meet some people I'd be working with." I already had the job, though, so it's a different situation. IF you can couple the visit with a holiday in Thailand (which is always good!), then it would be seen as showing interest in the school. If you haven't interviewed yet, then maybe hold off. Just my opinion.

4. No. Unless you want a holiday and combine it with a visit. The job may already have been given to someone else or a thousand other applicants may also have been offered interviews. There are no morals and no rules in international recruitment. Go to the first interview and then work out your next step.

5. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

I agree with oldgit. Unless you are in the impossibly rare situation of one candidate - one job and it is a done deal, wait until you have actually got the job before visiting. If you have been invited for interview and you are in the UK at the time - great - offer to go in person for interview and teach a lesson. Otherwise I would hold off. Google Earth is your friend and you can do a lot of research online concerning towns and locations etc.

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I agree with oldgit and syria.
    It is very rare for a school to bring you out for a visit, before or after you have the job. Even for SMT, many schools don't do it. If they're coming to the UK to interview, it's because that's the easiest way for them to see multiple candidates.
    If you feel like visiting the location for fun, do it. Be independent - set up your flights, your hotel, plan your stay. Don't expect the school to babysit you. They may have 10 candidates for your position, and 10 other positions to fill too. They can't spend their spring swanning around town with potential teachers who may or may not end up employed there. Once you've made your arrangments, let the school know you're coming, and ask if you can come in for a school tour and a chat. Do not ask for more. If they're keen, they may offer more, and if they do, feel free to take it. When you visit, evaluate the city in terms of what it might be like to live there. You may be on holiday that week, but if you move there, you won't be spending all your time at the tourist attractions and eating out. Check out the grocery stores and the pharmacies. Go off the beaten track and see how easy/hard it is to get by. Pretend you need to buy a stopper for the bathroom sink, and see if you can figure out where to go. Try clothes and shoe shopping - if it's Asia, or Central America, and you're tallish and/or roundish, you might not be able to find anything that fits - not the end of the world, but good to know in advance.
    Have fun.

7. serverservant

serverservant New commenter

I took a tour before starting a job, but as others have said I had the job and it was a courtesy of the school to do it. And what a courtesy as they flew me over in time for the World Cup Final and I had a ball. Id also like to point out the hotel and plane fare were paid for by the school.

Would I go just to see a school? Possibly if it was close by but not half way around the world with no idea if Im ever going to get the job.