1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Observation mistakes/tips

Discussion in 'English' started by sunflower48, Jun 5, 2011.

1. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

I always put LO on a powerpoint and, yes, once you move on it is not visible. Did it when OFSTED in and still got excellent. It is the content of the lesson and learning of students that is important, you refer back to the LO during the lesson.
    I think you were unlucky as Eva Smith said, interview students are chosen for being good, well behaved students and as there is usually a HOD, Head Teacher, Deputy in the room they should not misbehave. I also think it was mean of the school that you were not allowed in the room before the students so you could prepare yourself, why make it difficult for yo?. If the school have not got the basics of making you welcome on your interview, maybe you did have a lucky escape!

2. Try to stick to your timings (where possible). I waffled on a bit in the interview lesson for my current job, and HoD ended up cutting me off.

3. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

Not entirely related to the OP, but you can and I often do set up my LO so it automatically displays (small) at the top of each page of the presentation almost like a mini-title. It is larger on the first page and when we revisit it at the end. (Also means latecomers still can see the aim, as well as inspectors).
    Mistakes I've made: being too ambitious with time and not adapting quickly enough when it began running out...; assuming too much prior knowledge...

4. Talking of bad behaviour in interview lessons, I once went to a school where the kids in the interview lesson literally were roaring as I walked in. HOD and deputy heads at the back doing nothing and being ignored by kids. It got better from there, as you can imagine ;-) Worksheets were made into planes, kids talked over me, refused to participate in activity... Afterwards, they tiold me my lesson had been unsatisfactory as I had not managed behaviour. I withdrew and went home!

5. I've had a couple of odd interviews. The first I didn't get the job, although they asked for my lesson plan and slides. They said it was very good, and they wanted to be able to use it. It seemed strange that I didn't get the job if it was that good!

The worst mistake I made was turning up in odd shoes. I realised they were similar black shoes, but not a pair, just as I got off the train. Far too late to do anything about it. Naturally I was completely thrown through out the day. My performance was dreadful.

My very worst interview mistake was not for teaching. I wanted to go into the RAF. After a drunken week partying, I turned up for the officer selection interview, exactly on time, just one day late!

6. Another difficult observation was last year when the British Council made a surprise visit. One of the girls in the class decided to beat up one of the boys. I am not sure what the technique I used was, but apparently it was good! It was commented on in the report about how well I'd managed the situation. Now, if only I could remember what I did!