1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Observation HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jennam_1987, May 20, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I have an interview on Monday and have got to teach a 30 minute lesson to a mixed ability year 4/5 class of about 20 children.

I would be very grateful of any ideas which any of you may have to do in the lesson?

Thanks, Jenna

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Surely you have some ideas yourself?!
    I can think of lots of things, trouble is I don't even know which subject you want to teach or any possible LOs you are thinking of. You will find on here that people are very willing to help if the OP puts forward their own ideas first...

3. How do you expect to get the job and work in that school if you dont know what to teach!!!!

4. I am in my second year of teaching and find it jaw dropping the number of breezy posts on here 'I've got an interview- what should I teach and how'. If you incapable of having an original idea, choosing an objective and planning and teaching an interesting and challenging lesson then you don't deserve the job as the children you will be teaching deserve better.
    Rant over but its quite shocking.

5. and yes that should be how'? and it's!

6. Hi Jenna,
    I'd be happy to share some thoughts...
    how about a maths problem to solve? Maybe consecutive numbers, or missing digits, finding the numbers to make a given product, or matchstick triangles investigationto find the patters and them the formula for more able children.
    For Literacy how about a figurative language activity based on a poem? Chn could analyse a poem to find metaphors, similies and personification and then use a given frame to write their own.
    Or a short story then hot seating or conscious alley to explore the character description (can inc vocab development/use of adverbs to descrive movement/speech etc here) then the children can work in pairs to write a paragraph to describe the character.
    Hope this helps x

7. lorrpat... I promise you that the day WILL come when you are also stuck for an idea for a lesson and you will be the one turning to colleagues for help, advice and support. You are in the early stages of your career and with an attitude like this, don't be surprised if others turn their backs on you when it's you that needs the guidance.
    It would be extremely foolish to assume that a qualified teacher would be "incapable of having an original idea". QTS would not be given without having demonstrated this ability. I'm sure you recall from your own training, it was certainly a significant part of mine. Sharing good practice and ideas is exactly that, its good practice! Remember that.

8. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Well, it's just that the OP didn't share any ideas of their own. As I said, I would be more than willing to help if I was given some starting point; even a subject and LO would be better than nothing.
    OP - please do reply and give whatever ideas for your lesson you've had. Then we can help you refine them.