1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview observation activity focusing on questioning skills! Help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by treespirit, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have got an interview for a position that involves me working with reception in the morning and KS2 in the afternoon. They have asked me to prepare a story telling activity and then an activity with KS2 focusing on questioning skills, the content and format of which is completely up to me!
    Obviously I am now flapping and cannot think straight. Which subject to do it through? Anything written down? Or just practical? Eek.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas and will post some of my own when I have thought of some!
    Many thanks x

2. Treespirit, having read these boards for months now I have noticed something;
    If you ask for help you need to have some direction in the question, give some of your own ideas and then people can help you tweak them.
    It is YOU applying for the job, so most people aren't keen to give you what could be the lesson that clinches the deal when the other candidates will have done their own work.
    HTs read this board, and on a similar thread a couple of weeks back someone said that at an interview day recently 3 candidates did the same lesson that they had found on the TES boards - the HT had read the thread too, so it was obvious no creativity of their own had gone into producing the lesson and hence none of them got the job!!
    I am happy to share ideas (in fact I have on several occasions) as I hadn't considered the above points, but I can fully understand where people are coming from, so have refrained from giving whole lesson ideas for a few weeks!
    As general pointers I would suggest using a topic or subject that you are comfortable with, focus on the LO and then work out what type of activity will lead to this being covered. When you have some ideas then bounce them off the boards, best of luck with it all!

3. Absolutely fair point- the problem is- right this second I have no clear ideas- shall post when I have some! x

4. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Do you think they are looking at your questioning skills or the children's? If the former maybe some philosophy 4 children e.g. 'what would the perfect school be like?' The latter maybe you could be on hotseat in a role and they question?

5. I did wonder the same thing- but in a way think that it might be the children's ability. I only have 10 minutes! Yes- hotseating is as far as I had got too. Just trying to think of how it could be made fun rather than run of the mill...I am very happy to dress up :)

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I would use an intriguing picture to generate discussion - what might be happening? Could there be an alternative POV? What might these people be thinking? Can you think of a situation that could have led to this moment etc etc.

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Oh sorry, I just realised the ambiguity - I had assumed that they meant YOUR questioning skills!

8. I think I am about to pull out of this very same interview tomorrow!! Everything about it sounds liek the interview I would be attending but will now be staying in my current job. I was really excited by the interview tasks, think they sound like a great way to showcase what you can do. Good luck.