1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview no-show

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mas_o_menos, Feb 16, 2016.

1. mas_o_menos

mas_o_menos New commenter

I was supposed to have a Skype interview this morning for an international post. They didn't show up!

I feel very deflated by this as it was my first one. Surely it would be good etiquette to drop me an email or message saying something had come up and they couldn't make it? I know I would have offered them the same courtesy.

I was just wondering if this was a frequent occurrence? I get nervous at interviews (even for this one over Skype) & I refuse to take it personally. It seems like such a waste of time and energy.

Needless to say, it doesn't make me want to work for them.

2. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

Have you emailed them to ask where they have got to. My Skype interview was an hour late, they were running behind. So I left my Skype on. Emailed and messaged them on Skype as they had already added me. Hour after the original time they apologised was running late due to over running on interviews. I got the job but yet to accept because as I'm learning there is a lot to know before you accept an international job. Good luck.

3. mas_o_menos

Firstly, congrats!

I emailed them but they never even added me on Skype. I think it was a none starter from the offset!

Lesson learnt.

& thank you!

4. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Yes it would have been good etiquette, and would put me off straight away! Would you want to work for such rude people?
    Reminds me of once, a friend of mine was offered an interview over Skype, and told 10am, your time. At the appointed time there she was, no call. Three days later, an email saying 'sorry, our mistake. Got the time difference wrong. Tomorrow at 8pm?' My friend replied accepting, but pointing out that that was 1am at the school, which also seemed wrong. HR replied saying yes good point, then rearranged for another time. However, at 1am the next morning, Skype starts ringing with the school on the other end! She declined to answer at that time, and was rejected snottily a few days later for being 'unavailable'! Some schools really shoot themselves in the foot with this sort of thing.

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I would take it as a positive that you found out what sort of school they are before you ended up on a plane over there.

Keep on looking. Not all international schools are like this

6. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Recruitment is as much about teachers selecting schools as it is about schools selecting teachers. Incidents like this help to filter the wheat from the shaff.

7. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

Did you ever get a sorry or explaination? Just wondering. If not then they have done you a favour. Good luck

Kartoshka likes this.
  8. mas_o_menos

Thank you!

I heard nothing back. Since then I have been offered two interviews in better schools, I've moved on from it all, but won't be looking at any of that group of schools again.

9. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

Well done. Good luck.