1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview next week

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by kelwat, Jan 15, 2016.

1. kelwat

kelwat New commenter

Hi, I've been shortlisted for my first headship interview next week. I'm an internal candidate and other than what I can find on Google, I have limited knowledge of the various tasks and interview questions they are likely to give me. I would be grateful for any help/advice.

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done - that's good news!

If you come to the Jobseekers Forum (scroll down to find it) , you can post again and get loads of advice from the Professional Advice Hub.

Best wishes

kelwat likes this.
  3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Good luck with your interview!

kelwat likes this.
  4. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

I'd be amazed if there wasn't some sort of data/RAISE online task.

Presentations (often not given until the day) are pretty standard too.

Lesson obs (often a video clip) where you feedback judgements etc.

Then at least two interviews- one strategic and the other around personnel etc.

I've been through it in the last couple of years and know of other schools who've been through the process also so am basing it on that.

Good luck though- and make sure there's wine in the fridge!

kelwat likes this.
  5. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Well done!
    Do you have contacts with other HTs that you have a good rapport with? You could ask them for advice.
    Also, browse these forums. You'll find a lot of useful information!
    Good luck!!

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I realise it may already have taken place by now (in which case how did it go?) but if not, re interview questions, it's pointless trying to guess what they will ask, there's so many areas the interview panels could cover, but a couple that regularly get asked are "From what you've seen of our school so far what do you think are our strengths, weaknesses and priorities for improvement?" and "What would be your priorities in the first week/term/year?". They're so standard I don't think I'm giving away the interviewers' secret question bank!

Internal candidates sometimes think they have the inside track with those two questions but they don't - it some ways they're trickier for internal candidates than external ones, especially if governors and their advisers think the school's current improvement plan could be improved

You may be asked to teach a lesson as well as observe one. Governors will be scrupulous in making sure internal candidates are treated exactly the same way as external ones. We even make sure any internal candidates go on the tour of the school with the external candidates.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  7. kelwat

kelwat New commenter

Hi, I was unsuccessful unfortunately. Apparently, it was very close, but I think they always say that :)

I don't think I'll ever go through this process as an internal candidate again. It's not been a pleasant experience, that's for sure.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

They do. Brits are entirely unable to tell any candidates they came anything less than "a close second".

9. Sistersarah

Sistersarah New commenter

Write down all of the questions, tasks etc and use them when you prepare for the next interview.

Good luck!