1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview next week - Post 16 GCSE English

Discussion in 'English' started by Medusa10, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Medusa10

Medusa10 New commenter

I have been out of teaching for a couple of years and am hoping to return. I have an interview in an FE college and have to teach a 15 minute lesson on Introduction to persuasive writing. Would it be better to deconstruct an advertisement or short extract? My plan is to use AFOREST on a text and take verbal feedback as to the effectiveness of the techniques.
    15 minutes is such a short space of time and I want to do well.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Sounds good - just make it a short text! If not an advert then a section from a speech would be good.

Have a look at the spec for the exam board they teach - I teach Edexcel, and the 'big' paper 2 (nonfiction) questions are: analysis of language and structure, evaluation of how well some effect is created or something shown, and comparison of ideas and perspectives. So, your interview task would mesh with the 'evaluation'.

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

4. kvjm14

kvjm14 New commenter

Why not use Greta T's Krakow speech form 2018- just over 2 mins.....analyse techniques...My students loved that- GCSE college resits.....or trailer of Endgame just over 2 mins- how would you persuade a friend to go and see the film with you? Just a couple of ideas...check out which exam board the college does....if it's AQA there are 40 marks on the written part of Section B Paper 2 where the persuasive piece comes up and 24 marks are for content and 16 for SPAG- spelling grammar and punctuation...Get the students to do the work! Peer Assessment is always good for teaching obs- even if you say tht is what you would do next....'Then we would write blah blah and peer assess'....Good Luck