1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview nerves

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by kstring24, Feb 22, 2011.

1. I've got my first interview next week and I'm finding myself getting nervous already. Generally, I'm ok with nerves if I get on and don't think about it, but unfortunately I'm struggling to contain them atm. I think I'm overthinking things a little too much, convinced the kids won't do as I ask or understand my task etc. I did plan to teach the interview lesson before half term, but I didn't get chance to finish planning the lesson before half term so I won't get another chance.
    I didn't have an interview for my current job as I was at the school as a trainee, I was very happy with the opportunity to get a job without interview at the time, but now I wish I'd had some experience! Has anyone got any tips for a first timer?

2. I've got my first interview next week and I'm finding myself getting nervous already. Generally, I'm ok with nerves if I get on and don't think about it, but unfortunately I'm struggling to contain them atm. I think I'm overthinking things a little too much, convinced the kids won't do as I ask or understand my task etc. I did plan to teach the interview lesson before half term, but I didn't get chance to finish planning the lesson before half term so I won't get another chance.
    I didn't have an interview for my current job as I was at the school as a trainee, I was very happy with the opportunity to get a job without interview at the time, but now I wish I'd had some experience! Has anyone got any tips for a first timer?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I think its impossible to get rid of nerves but I think the best thing anyone can do in interview is to be themselves. Interviews are a two way process and its best for you to like the school and for them to like you for the teacher you are, that way it should be a long happy relationship (sounds a bit like a date really! lol)
    Congratulations on getting this far, and best of luck. Let us know how you get on xx

4. Hi I went for a number of interviews before getting a full time post as a PE teacher last May. The advice I was frequently given by the schools where I did not get a job was that I had spoken too quickly and not given myself time to actually think about my answers. They said that it felt like I was giving a lecture rather than simply answering their questions. My advice therefore is to pause after they have asked the question and crucially think about a few key points that you want to cover in your answer. Once you have covered these key points then stop and wait for the next question.

I wish you the best of luck.