1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interview Near Baby's Due Date

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by hughes3141, Nov 3, 2015.

1. hughes3141

hughes3141 New commenter

I've just been shortlisted for a job interview that is scheduled two days after my wife is due to give birth to our second child. The school is a four hour drive from where we live.

It is really important to us that I am present for the birth. It would be fairly disastrous if I were to get a call from her and I were four hours' drive away and not able to be back in time.

I'm really hoping that the baby will arrive early and I can travel down for the interview without worrying. But if the baby hasn't arrived by the time of the interview date then I face a real dilemma. Do I risk it and drive down to make the interview, or call the school and explain that the baby has not arrived and I do not feel comfortable traveling? I have been up front about the due date in all parts of this application, including when the interview was scheduled.

If the baby is not here by the time of the interview my strategy would be to let the school know the day before and tell them that I would be available for interview via Skype or telephone at the times they have scheduled, and that I could provide videos of my lesson delivery. Would this have any chance of working?

This job is to commence September 2016, so there is no hurry to fill the post.

All views appreciated!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'll start with the congratulations in advance!

Nobody but you can make that decision, to be honest.

To be honest, it is unlikely. You would not be having an equal situation to other candidates and the procedure could be open to challenge. And it would cause them all sorts of logistical problems.

Is this a first baby? They don;t usually pop out in 4 hours, you know . . . Your best bet - and there's no guarantee that this would work - would be to ask if just possibly, just possibly, they could give you two interview days, one a couple of days before the general one. (Not after, as they would have to keep other candidates waiting). In theory you will come to the first one, but if the baby comes, then Plan B is that you are interviewed on the same day as the other candidates.

That's my best solution.

I would do it, but this school might not feel that it was possible or appropriate.

Best wishes

3. hughes3141

hughes3141 New commenter

Many thanks!

This is our second baby, and the first one came after a short labour. Hence my concern with the four hour travel window.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Theo's advice is (as ever) good.

I've nothing to add, other than the story that my brother was working in America when his wife went into labour with their first child. He got on a plane very quickly- I believe strings were pulled by the big company he worked for, with the result that the plane crew knew about his situation and made an announcement about it over the intercom thingy! They also plied him with wine, which helped his nerves a bit, especially as he's not a big drinker. He didn't make it before the baby arrived - which led to his decision to look for a job permanently in the UK.

Hope it all works out for you, hughes3141.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lucky mother! The first experience may also give a clue about likelihood of early/late/spot on arrival

Best wishes