1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Interview literacy lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarahxy99, May 21, 2011.

1. Hi I have a 20 minute literacy lesson on Monday teaching y2, as part of an interview. I am a bit confused as have been receiving mixed messages from people- some have said to treat it as a full lesson (starter, main, plenary etc) and others have said I should just be teaching the first 20 minutes of a full lesson.
    I have been thinking of doing the gingerbread man- reading story, asking children to share adjectives, hotseat the wolf and gingerbread (maybe use masks) but am sure what to do next. Should the children be writing as it is literacy or is drama/role play adequate?
    i would appreciate any possible help as am getting super stressed now x

2. I would go down th route of a 20 minute mini lesson with 3 clear parts, rather than the first 20 minutes of a longer lesson. This will give you more chance to show how you can set up the learning with a quick-fire, engaging starter; a main activity accessible by all at their own level and a plenary which either extends the learning or consolidates.
    First, you need to decide on the objectives. What do you want the children to do by the end of the lesson? This will dictate your activities.
    I personally wouldn't worry about getting the children to write in such a short literacy lesson. I'd be focusing on quality speaking and listening, tightly linked to the objective.

3. Don't worry! Sounds like you have a good idea. Don't think it matters what you do, so much as how you do it - ie very well!
    Have a clear objective at the start - could be just to describe a character - and say they can achieve this by simply telling each other in roleplay or hot seating. You could always say to the children (and the observers!) they might like to go on and write about their descriptions later on as a next step. Don't shy away from success criteria even though it's a short lesson - make clear what you expect in the role play / hot seating so the children have a focus all through. Good luck!

4. thanks for that advice Elizabeth. By the end of the lesson I would want children to be able to describe the thoughts and feelings of characters using adjectives and through drama either hotseating/freeze frames. But then i think that is a bit of an unimaginative lesson really. i want something brilliant.
    Or i dont know whether to change it totally and to think of an alternate ending to the story by introducing a new character?

5. thank you Jmtodd, you've made me feel calmer. I'm just over thinking everything and coming up with nothing. I have literally wasted a whole day looking for stuff. Need to calm down!!

6. Don't panic! They won't be looking for people swinging off chandeliers. They will be looking for good, solid teaching; clear planning and differentiation and the ability to engage the children.
    To be able to describe a character's thoughts and feelings is great as a learning objective.
    You could read through a big-book version of the story (or an interactive version), and then stop at a scene. Chn. could then get into small groups and freeze-frame themselves into that scene. For example, they could be in groups of 3 with LLRH, the Wolf and Granny. You tap chn's shoulders and they have to say, in role, how they are feeling.
    For a plenary, to make sure everyone's engaged, you could have children in talk partner twos, with one as the wolf and one as a newspaper reporter. The wolf tells the story in his own words, adding lots of descriptions about how he was feeling at each point, and the newspaper reporter prompts by asking questions - "What happened then?", "How did you feel about that?" etc.
    Good luck!

7. There'll be a perfect job out there, with your name on it. Good luck!